New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

Why is font color gray?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Thanks! I do like my little challenges. I'll see what I can do to refine this a little more when I get some free time tonight.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ceejay

ceejay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You've succeeded - here's a Safari extension that changes the colour of the post font to black. All you have to do is install it. Ugh, I can be so easily persuaded to take on these challenges. Haha.

"Color" me impressed, Van!

Holy cow, that's awesome! You are a magician. Or a witch. I am not sure.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
ceejay

ceejay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks! I do like my little challenges. I'll see what I can do to refine this a little more when I get some free time tonight.
What's there to refine? User selectable colors?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quotes are still grey along with a few other things. I'll fool around to see if I can get all lighter colour text dark.

Glad you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Holy cow, that's awesome! You are a magician. Or a witch. I am not sure.
I think I'm going to go with Jedi as proposed earlier.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

When I first came onto this site I was like what's up with this gray color? Now I agree it is a lot easier on the eyes and my guess is that the new updates to this site will allow you to change the font color. I will elect to keep it gray.

Newbie of the year 2011
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
You've succeeded - here's a Safari extension that changes the colour of the post font to black.
I like it! I think the grey text causes me some eye strain. I tried making my posts black, but, well, never mind.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

I really think I'd prefer black. Grey is okay but doesn't have that sharp contrast that I think would make it easier on the eyes.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

As promised, I've updated the extension to make more text black without going overboard. Also, as an added bonus (because I'm such a nice guy ), I've made Chrome and Opera versions. Sorry Firefox users - my dislike for your browser and its complicated extension development system has prevented me from porting it over to the Mozilla platform.

Safari version, Chrome version, Opera version.

Updates since last time: quotes, codeblocks and smaller text around the forums (including user info on the left) are now black. If you grow tired of the change, you can disable each through their respective extension management pages/panes. You'll notice that links are still grey - it would seem that changing those requires changing all links and changing all links to black looks terrible in some spots. I'm working on this.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated. The extensions look good here but we all know how software may work for one person and not for another.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Looks even better. Thank you for the Chrome and Opera version also.
QUOTE Thanks
JimboMac

JimboMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Leave it be!
Agreed!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Looks even better. Thank you for the Chrome and Opera version also.
Thanks! It was really easy to make the other extensions since the code was the same and I figured I might as well make them for other browsers since we all use different ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboMac View Post
Agreed!
No one's forcing you to use my extensions.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:

No one's forcing you to use my extensions.
Does he mean the forums color or your extension? Your extension ROX!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Thanks! I'll see if I can fix the link colours tonight.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

I like the grey color, i would actually really like the exact scheme used where you type to post. That's much easier on the eyes then the white/grey or white/black contrast. And the black and white contrast is actually bad for the eyes. Many articles say that if you spend long hours on a computer to change the background to something greyish so that your eyes have an easier time with the screen. Just what i read
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Thanks! I'll see if I can fix the link colours tonight.
Major props for the work so far. Wish I had checked the thread when it first started.

BTW If your alchemist/Jedi talents extend to turning common objects into gold, I'll support your bid for world domination. As long as I get a cut of the proceeds of course.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Too much clutter of same topic reports/rumors | Question about signature rules »