New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

Why no 'General Mac Forum'?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

There's one for Switchers. Presumably, we're not all switchers. Those who are, are we forever destined to stay in the Switchers forum?

Seems like there is a niche waiting to be filled for those of us who are no longer Switchers but Switched, and those who were never on the PC side. (it must be very few)

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Isnt that what all the rest of the topics cover ? I mean the whole forum is Mac .

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I have to admit that I've scratched my head more than once trying to decide which forum to post in when what I had was more of a general message than one of the more specific sounding topics in the forum list. For example, suppose I wanted to comment on uses for the Command Key. It touches on hardware and on the OS but doesn't really fit nicely in either. I think a General Mac topic category for experienced Mac users (not switchers which implies new Mac users) would be nice.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

So, you pick the one that most closely matches your topic. In the example you pointed out, OS X - Operating System is a pretty good fit.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
I have to admit that I've scratched my head more than once trying to decide which forum to post in when what I had was more of a general message than one of the more specific sounding topics in the forum list. For example, suppose I wanted to comment on uses for the Command Key. It touches on hardware and on the OS but doesn't really fit nicely in either. I think a General Mac topic category for experienced Mac users (not switchers which implies new Mac users) would be nice.
For teh command key, are you talking specifically about the physical key on the keyboard? Then it's hardware.

If you're talking about the function it provides, that's software.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

No general Mac forum? I would think "Apple Desktops" and "Apple Notebooks" are pretty general forums. . . plus you have "Other Hardware and Peripherals", where the description states "Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion".

Software wise, you have forums for the general OS X operating system, it's applications, and developing on that OS. For other Mac OSes, you post in the "Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS" forum; it's description: "Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac".

I find the organization of the forums perfect here.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
There's one for Switchers. Presumably, we're not all switchers. Those who are, are we forever destined to stay in the Switchers forum?

Seems like there is a niche waiting to be filled for those of us who are no longer Switchers but Switched, and those who were never on the PC side. (it must be very few)
Think of it this way...I'm sure there's a "delicate" balance between too few & too many forum categories.

Too few categories...and yes too many dissimilar topics mixed together. Too many categories...and things just become chaotic.

There will never be enough categories to perfectly satisfy all questions or topics. Just choose the forum category that you think best fits your posting...if it's not the best category to use...the admins will move it.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree with the above. And here's how I see it.
All the people new to Macintoshes who do not know where to post their questions can post in the switchers area. But ones these people become more knowledgeable with their Macintosh they will learn which areas their questions fit into. And can post in the appropriate area.

It's like the switchers area is like primary school. And when you pass that you can move into secondary school where you can place your questions in more appropriate areas.

And for me the switchers area is for all those new to Macintoshes or have basic questions about Macintoshes. It's to me more then it's area title would suggest.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Yeah, but....
Is everybody either a recent switcher, a long time ago switcher, or a grizzled Mac veteran? Might there not be some who are just new to computers altogether, and they happened to start with a Mac? Or, is that no longer possible in the technology age?

I'm not proposing a new forum for such people, if they exist. But a change it the title might be appropriate. Something like Switcher and New User Hangout would cover all bases. Now, I know what an ordeal it is to change a forum title, so I'm not holding my breath.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I would think the term switcher refers to a group of people who are new to the Mac environment.

Btw, has anyone read the description for the Switchers forum? I would think that's enough information to know who the forum is for. . .

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

When you organize anything by categories, inevitably the mentality used to make the divisions doesn't make sense to some people.

In short... "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

You're right on both counts. Or, is that you and Abe?

Go look at the AppleInsider Forums. People post where it makes sense to them according to the Forum titles. But, many post in the "wrong" forum according to the descriptions.

And yes, the description of the Switcher Hangout is right on the mark.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidee

kaidee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB, 4GB RAM 500GB Hardrive

I'm not exactly sure what box I fit into with the whole 'veteran' 'long ago switcher' etc. because I used mac's at school when I did computers (I stopped doing that class about 2 years ago) and now probably have some elementary questions about mac computers but I still know most of the basics, if that makes sense? So I dont think that necessarily the switchers forum should be considered primary school, I know you were just using it as an example, but to me it seems like a place for any question that may arise about macs in relation to PCs, but then again I havent been here that long (try a day ) so I haven't really got a feel for the forum so much, so I could be off.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

There's not "test" of your Mac credentials that permits you to post in the "newbie" forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Timing Out | Tutorials and Tips »