New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

What does "bump" mean in a post?

Thread Closed

Jim48

Jim48 is on a distinguished road

I am relatively new to the forum, but what does it mean when a
member responds with the word "bump"?
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

A "bump" brings an older post back to everyone's attention. Bump is usually used when there has been no solving answer to a posted problem.
Jim48

Jim48 is on a distinguished road

Thank you, I appreciate your assistance.
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's also kind of rude when done just like that.

I'd much rather people say something like, "I'm still having this same problem. Does anyone have any ideas?"
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

It's usually the OP who bumps, but I've bumped threads for others. Of course, doing that, I have no idea if the OP is going to come back.

I've never considered it rude if someone (even the OP) just posts "bump". But I've seen people express frustration in an inappropriate way because no one has given them a solution that works, or no one responded at all. That is certainly rude.
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Bumping a thread can be a good thing and a bad thing. For one thing you don't need to do that on this forums because it doesn't move so fast that your thread gets lost, or usually isn't on the first page for a few days.

The bad part is necro bumping...>_>" that is bumping or reviving threads that are dead for over a year or longer. That I consider not needed at all.

Honest question but I don't believe it goes under this section?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Bumping a thread can be a good thing and a bad thing. For one thing you don't need to do that on this forums because it doesn't move so fast that your thread gets lost, or usually isn't on the first page for a few days.

The bad part is necro bumping...>_>" that is bumping or reviving threads that are dead for over a year or longer. That I consider not needed at all.

Honest question but I don't believe it goes under this section?
I don't know when or how but I WILL use the term " necro-bumping " in a sentence today ! Man that is funny !

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
It's also kind of rude when done just like that.

I'd much rather people say something like, "I'm still having this same problem. Does anyone have any ideas?"
I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "rude", but I agree that it's a lot more useful when people provide a bit of detail when they bump a thread. For example, say "I tried all of your suggestions, but it still doesn't work", rather than "It's not working", which doesn't tell me if the poster bothered to try any of the suggestions

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
I don't know when or how but I WILL use the term " necro-bumping " in a sentence today ! Man that is funny !

Clay
Oh I'm pretty sure everyone has their own word for it. Like zombie thread...>_>" personally it's like beating a dead horse, so just please don't do it. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Oh I'm pretty sure everyone has their own word for it. Like zombie thread...>_>" personally it's like beating a dead horse, so just please don't do it. >_<"
oh don't get me wrong... I find it to be very anoying when people bring back a dead thread for no other reason then to agree with it.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
oh don't get me wrong... I find it to be very anoying when people bring back a dead thread for no other reason then to agree with it.

Clay
... and to increase thier post count.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records

Thread Closed

« Thread Updates | Hi Everyone!!! »