New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

ability to Edit Post: expiration time limit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Having noticed a thread where the OP edited after a subsequent post called out the OP for not being polite, I'm just wondering... What is the time frame within which I can edit a post?

I looked around briefly at sticky threads here and didn't see the answer.

While we're at it, is there a different time limit for removing a post?

Stating the obvious, it can be rude or misleading to do a major edit of a post after others have responded. I hope that most people realize it's better to make another post instead.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Having noticed a thread where the OP edited after a subsequent post called out the OP for not being polite, I'm just wondering... What is the time frame within which I can edit a post?

I looked around briefly at sticky threads here and didn't see the answer.

While we're at it, is there a different time limit for removing a post?
You do have a while to edit a post after you first publish it.
I'm not sure of the exact timeframe, but it's plenty of time.

Members don't have the ability to remove their own posts.
If you need one removed, please contact a member of the staff to do so.

If something was not polite, then the post should have been reported, in which case a Mod would edit it appropriately if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I hope that most people realize it's better to make another post instead.
No, it's not better to make another post.
If you need to clarify something, just edit the original post as needed.

Again, if a post is offensive or impolite just report it.
It will either be edited or simply removed.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
No, it's not better to make another post.
If you need to clarify something, just edit the original post as needed.
I disagree. In the thread that prompted my question, it was clear that the OP edited the post after someone else posted comments specific to what had been posted. But, the part of that OP which the comments were addressing had apparently been edited out.

Plus, if you edit a post to clarify something after 10 people have posted trying to make sense of the OP, then those trying to help might not see the edit, and might appear dense to someone coming into the thread for the first time.

On another forum I visit, the time limit for editing is 24 hours. The time limit for deleting your post is 2 hours. The reason for such a short span is to prevent the above from happening.
QUOTE Thanks
coaster

coaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video

The admin can set the time limit for editing a post. Or no limit if that's what they want.

Personally, I think it's pretty bad form to edit a post in such a way that materially alters the meaning and intent of the comments after someone else has appended the thread. There's an option for a time-stamp on a post when it's edited, but I'd have to look around to see if it's implemented here. I think it's a good idea to have that feature enabled so everyone knows if and when a post has been edited, and by whom.

As far as the time-out for an edit, if I remember right I've got mine set at 14 days. One forum I mod on has NO limit AND does not time-stamp the edits. That's the way admin wants it there; I asked if he would enable it and he doesn't want to, so he's the boss. I occasionally run across posts that have been significantly edited well after the initial posting date. In fact, one member who left in a huff after a dispute with admin went back later and edited ALL her posts, and there were over 1,500 of theme, to replace the original words with "..."

Is that a sign of some loose wires or not?

~Tim~
Throw the bums out!! Bye Bye Bums
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

^The time stamp is enabled, but I think moderators and administrators sometimes will turn it off for certain edits (please correct me if this is wrong).

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't post in Buy, Sell or Trade | Number of post in Site Stats »