New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Suggestions and Feedback A place for your suggestions and comments about the Mac-Forums Community itself

Create New Thread in Mac Forums

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

datastream8

datastream8 is on a distinguished road

I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to create a new thread! Instead of choosing a category from HOME which takes me to categories of threads and after choosing a category, one can click on a tiny faded button in the upper left corner named NEW THREAD, wouldn't it be nice to have an obvious button in the navigation bar or in the profile page?? It would for me!

From the profile page I can send messages and it would be very useful to add the option NEW THREAD! Once in the new thread page, I can choose the category for the new thread in a simple drop down menu if nothing more fancy!

I've been working on mac for close to three years now, and I truly love its stability and reliablity, but it alludes me completely why so many SUPER simple options connected to mac are always concealed! Including with the OS.

How about a FAQ for the forum! I would really like that!

Thanks!

P.S.
I thought I'd post this for some other sucker like me to save them some time
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by datastream8 View Post
I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to create a new thread! Instead of choosing a category from HOME which takes me to categories of threads and after choosing a category, one can click on a tiny faded button in the upper left corner named NEW THREAD, wouldn't it be nice to have an obvious button in the navigation bar or in the profile page?? It would for me!
Now that you know where it is, you'll be able to find it on practically every forum in existence on the web.

Quote:
From the profile page I can send messages and it would be very useful to add the option NEW THREAD! Once in the new thread page, I can choose the category for the new thread in a simple drop down menu if nothing more fancy!
That would be a great suggestion for the developers of VBulletin and I'm with you on that one. They are the developers of the forum software being used here and on maybe half or more of all forums it seems like (at least english language ones). They can be found here.

Quote:
I've been working on mac for close to three years now, and I truly love its stability and reliablity, but it alludes me completely why so many SUPER simple options connected to mac are always concealed! Including with the OS.
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with your Mac. It would be the same whether on OS X, Windows or Linux. 80% of the forums I am a member of use the VBulletin software, including those totally unrelated to anything Apple. The place to post a new thread is the same on all of them. Actually, without going around and checking them, I think all of them are in the same place, although with different forum software may have a different name. For instance the apple support forums, it's called 'Post New Topic'. While not using VBulletin, it is in exactly the same place.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Now that you know where it is, you'll be able to find it on practically every forum in existence on the web.
Not all forums are the same, BTW. Yes, many are created with vBulletin, but not all.

Anyhow, welcome to Mac-Forums.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
datastream8

Thank you writing back. I've posted in many other forums and have not had this issue before. There were many similar inquiries on the web and no answers. What happens if someone has never posted in this kind of forum? Why do I have to have done it, to know how to do it? The web is supposed to be accessible for people of all strokes of life, and this structure of forum is not easily accessible. The search and post options should be clearly visible and the latter is NOT - that is the bottom line.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Bottom line is this is the first type of complaint i have seen like this. Everyone else finds it. Even the spammers do

Also if this message board and website is not accessible to you i am sure there are plenty others out there that will be better for you.

No the internet is not supposed to be accessible for people of all stokes of life. There are no rules for the internet.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I am thinking how I joined this forum in march of last year 12 hours of getting my 1st MacBook and at no time did I feel the need to blame OSX nor the forum for my ignorance. Then I realized that we must see , what , 5-15 new posters a day ? And none of them have this problem. I wonder what that means ?!
QUOTE Thanks
fox8991

fox8991 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue

I still can't figure out how to create a thread =/ could anybody help me out a bit?
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

^Hey. Welcome to Mac-Forums. This is a little unusual, but I'll see what I can do.

Start by going to Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions

Next, find the forum in which your thread best fits. Click on the link to that forum.

Once it loads, towards the top of the page will be a button that says "New Thread". Click it, and away you go!

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
datastream8

Hi Fox! And welcome to the forum!

After you login, go to HOME from top navigation, which is here - Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions
Then select a topic, for example, SOFTWARE > OS X - Operating System. The page that opens after you select your topic has a tiny inconspicuous button on the upper left corner called *New Thread*. Once you find that, you will be OK.

As you can see from my most above I also struggled with this at first.
Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
fox8991

fox8991 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
^Hey. Welcome to Mac-Forums. This is a little unusual, but I'll see what I can do.

Start by going to Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions

Next, find the forum in which your thread best fits. Click on the link to that forum.

Once it loads, towards the top of the page will be a button that says "New Thread". Click it, and away you go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by datastream8 View Post
Hi Fox! And welcome to the forum!

After you login, go to HOME from top navigation, which is here - Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions
Then select a topic, for example, SOFTWARE > OS X - Operating System. The page that opens after you select your topic has a tiny inconspicuous button on the upper left corner called *New Thread*. Once you find that, you will be OK.

As you can see from my most above I also struggled with this at first.
Good Luck!
Thank you both, that really helped
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

You're welcome!

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
bkunnyfan

bkunnyfan is on a distinguished road

thanks a lot for this thread. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to start a new forum. Then I came here. Saved me 1 hour and 45 minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

All I can say is "Wow".
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
All I can say is "Wow".
Well, the thread continues to be useful. It seems new users have thrown a coup and placed a 'What you need to know first' section where they can find it easily. That can't be a bad thing.
QUOTE Thanks
tcoffin014

tcoffin014 is on a distinguished road

i saved an hour and a half lol. thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie community? | Custom Titles? »