New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Community Polls Community polls where we gather fun facts.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy about the Intel switch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Are you happy about the Intel switch?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

With IBM putting off Jobs for 3.0Ghz and a G5 for the Powerbooks, To me it's the only thing Jobs could have done. People were getting ansy for a G5 Laptop for sure. I would rather have had an AMD CPU in the new Macs but I doubt AMD could keep up with the added demand that Apple would need. As long as they keep OSX for Macs only, I am for the switch. Something clearly had to be done. Also I bet Jobs was a bit bent by Intel making a 3 Core 3.2Ghz CPU for the XBox 2 also.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I am all for the switch, I don't even think we will be able to notice a performance decrease.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I'll just put it like this. I don't think that I'll be losing any sleep over it anytime soon, and I trust Apple to make the right choices down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
iMe

I'm all for it too...Even though I'm thinking in my head about Apple + AMD, I'm pretty sure Apple made the perfect move. Kudos to Apple!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Honestly I am apathetic. PPC or x86, it's all about software and performance for me. I think for the kind of tasks I do x86 is good and Apple has made a reasonable effort to ensure that there will be software. Don't screw up OS X and the platform becomes a question of economics for me.

Upon reflection I guess I am a little happy. PPC may be the better CPU from a technical standpoint but I think the alliance with Intel makes for a more dynamic road going forward. Especially when you put AMD into the equation.

I guess we will find out if it was a wise business decision in a decade or so.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I didn't vote....because quite frankly, it doesn't matter what proc the Mac uses to me. I mean look at the Keynote from WWDC...Jobs was using a Pentium Mac the whole time, and nobody knew. It wasn't until he brought up the computer info and told everyone that you could see the difference. I seriously doubt that if anyone here was given two Macs, identical in every say, save for the processor that they could tell the difference between the two without pulling up the system info or opening the case.

So, none of the poll options fit me...there should be one for "makes no difference to me" or "doesn't matter" :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I just fine with it. As said, I think it means better progress to faster CPU and will do Apple well in the long term
QUOTE Thanks
Maccraft

Yes I'm for it and excited about it, I think it is a wise yet a bit risky marketing decision and it will make playing games on lower end Macs a worth while experience. Although Phil Schiller (Apple Senior Vice President) said Mac OS wont run on PCs I think that it could still happen, in fact I want it to happen. Apple is doing reasonably well at the moment and with the few extra bucks and publicity they have got from the iPod, I think now would be the time for apple to take the risk and strike at Microsoft. Who knows maybe in the next 15 years or so Microsoft may not own the desktop.........Just image that.............
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Don't know yet. Anything can happen!
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

I'm perfectly happy with it, as long as Mac OS will only run on Apple hardware, I think I would get annoyed by all the Windows users trying to convince me its a peice of crap because it wont run very well on their low spec PC's
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel
I'm perfectly happy with it, as long as Mac OS will only run on Apple hardware, I think I would get annoyed by all the Windows users trying to convince me its a peice of crap because it wont run very well on their low spec PC's
but then you could show them how well it runs on very well built apple products.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Colin Barnhorst

Better performance with less power consumption means good things for Apple. A dual core 64-bit Pentium M based laptop will do well in the marketplace.
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

ever PC fan knows that intel is the thing that you want least, it is very unreliable and they get really freaking hot really fast. i think that it is a very stupid idea what apple is doing
QUOTE Thanks
AppleFreak

AppleFreak is on a distinguished road

I believe it is a good idea because if Apple didn't make this transformation in 2 yrs Apple probablly won't exist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do You Sync Your Cell Phone? | Should we keep the Podcast? »