New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Classic Mac OS and Programs Discussion of pre-OS X programs and operating systems.

OS 10.0 - Mac mini and MS Word 98

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It will run in 10.3 in what is called classic mode. Basically you will have to have a copy of OS9.2 installed, and OSX will run OS9 apps in the Classic compatibility layer

Being OS9, expect office to crash every now and then, but it will not bring down OSX

but, if you cannot run classic, then NeoOffice runs in 10.3
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/...d.php#download

and it opens all MS office docs
QUOTE Thanks
j-man

j-man is on a distinguished road

I think classic is installed. Do I need to switch over to classic or will it launch the office 98 app. seamlessly without me "opening" classic? In other words is it kind of running in the background and will open apps. which need it?

Thanks,
J-man
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-man View Post
I think classic is installed. Do I need to switch over to classic or will it launch the office 98 app. seamlessly without me "opening" classic? In other words is it kind of running in the background and will open apps. which need it?

Thanks,
J-man
it will do exactly that, it will just launch word 98
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm not sure if it would work, and even if it does it's going to be slow. Why not just download the new version of NeoOffice (It's free) and install that for her? NeoOffice provides excellent compatibility with MS Office document formats and will save to them by setting it as the default.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

NeoOffice is an OS X port of Open Office. However, I have heard that Open Office Org will release a version for Aqua in the near future which will mean you no longer will be required to have X11 installed. For now though, NeoOffice is your best bet.

BTW, if she just needs a word processor that will read from and save to *.DOC (MS Office), I highly recommend "Bean".

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

It's easy to use, fast, has many features, free, and can be set to default to the MS Office document format.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Haven't we already talked about this?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Haven't we already talked about this?
yea, but wine went stable this week (hit version 1.0 finally after 15 years). You could probably get office 98 running under that

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
BTW, if she just needs a word processor that will read from and save to *.DOC (MS Office), I highly recommend "Bean".
TextEdit already does that No need for another program.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

this one is a double thread, can we merge them
QUOTE Thanks
j-man

Problem solved.

A big thanks to all who posted. Sorry for the double post in another forum.

I downloaded and installed NeoOffice. It worked great. Pretty user friendly also.

Thanks agian,
J-man
QUOTE Thanks
j-man

A big thanks to louishen. Problem solved.

A big thanks to all who posted. Sorry for the double post in another forum.

I downloaded and installed NeoOffice. It worked great. Pretty user friendly also. it does PowerPoint, Word, that's all I needed.

Thanks agian,
J-man
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged multiple crossposts
Quote:
Does anyone know if MS Office 98 will work with OS 10.3? I'm not sure if Office 98 is only for OS 9x or if it's compatible with OS X.
Quote:
Does anyone know if MS Office 98 will work with OS 10.3? I'm not sure if Office 98 is only for OS 9x or if it's compatible with OS X.
For the third time, yes it will work. You will need to run it under Classic in OS X. In order to be able to run under Classic, you will either need to install it from your machine's install discs or purchase a copy of OS 9.2 and install that.
Please, do not start yet another thread on this topic.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Us old Macheads win again, Why does everyone want to kick everything to the curb. You do not need a G5 and a million dollar OS to do basic stuff. Im posting right now with a Power Mac 8600 and OS9,it works and did not cost a zillion bucks.For something else, I can always whip out the Linux box.
QUOTE Thanks
drjayez

drjayez is on a distinguished road

Another Vote for NeoOffice. Even if you get office 98 to run under classic mode you will not be able to load Office documents created under the newest versions of Office. neoOffice can open these. It also handles powerpoint compatible files. Go to their website and check it out.

http://neooffice.org

mod: I screwed up my user name. Please change it to drjaymez.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to move mouse or use keyboard in Mac OS 9.2 | Hello Im new, and I'm confused »