New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Archival Forum All the old stuff

Looking for a good set of speakers.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WhitE_RabbiT

Well guys, I'm off to college soon. I will be taking my PB with me.
Right now, I own a set of Klipsch 5.1's. I'm not so sure as to what I am going to do with them yet. Since my PB can't acheive 5.1 without external hardware, I'm debating taking them. I was almost thinking about purchasing 2 nice monitors, or a 2.1 system. Thing is, I don't really know where to start looking. I don't know too much about speakers either. Obviously I am looking for something nice, nothing extremely expensive, but I don't want cheap. I'm looking for good all around sound quality. Perhaps you guys could provide some suggestions?

Also, I'm debating even buying new speakers. Maybe a good set of headphones would suit me better coupled with my 5.1's and an M-Audio Sonica Theatre.

Thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

How about the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's? I think those are the best sounding 2-channel multimedia/computer speakers on the market.
QUOTE Thanks
d4rr3n

Cheap/expensive are all relative terms. How much money are you looking to spend?
QUOTE Thanks
WhitE_RabbiT

Well, since I already have the 5.1's, purchasing the 2.1's really wouldn't be worth it.

As far as price, somewhere in the hundreds I suppose. I guess nothing more than $500, altho I'm not even sure I want to go that high. I'm just trying to get ideas. Just looking for some good sound. The thing is, I don't really feel my Klipsch's are giving me great sound.
QUOTE Thanks
Ryanstech

Kplisch 2.1's are $150 and sound great
QUOTE Thanks
d4rr3n

Well considering he already has the 5.1's and the 5.1's have a better subwoofer than the 2.1 it would make no sense to get the 2.1. You're really not going to get a pc speaker/sub combo that will beat the 5.1's. The klipsch are great by pc system standards, but it's not saying much. PC systems are generally 5 tiny underpowered low quality sattelites and a boomy overstated semi-subwoofer. Your only real option to get better sound is to look beyond the pc speaker/home theater in a box setups and look into getting quality separates. You could definitely get a quality 2 channel setup for under $500 that would blow any pc system out of the water. Setting up a whole 5.1 surround system with that stuff will cost you more than you're willing to budget though. You could also look into get a quality set of heaphones from sennheiser or grado, possibly some senn hd580's. IMO dollar for dollar a set of speakers cannot touch a good set of headphones.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac equivalent to line6 guitar port? | Post pics of................................... »