New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Archival Forum All the old stuff

watching tv on a mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris041067

yeah so my tv broke..and i started to think..hey, i wonder if i can use my mac for a tv?
so my question is...is there any way to hook up my powerbook and use it for a TV? it would be connected to my reciever so no need for a tv tuner or anything...just a way for the video input..
any ideas?

i would actually like to get a nice studio or cinema display instead of another tv so i can use it for both things...or maybe even a projector
what are your thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

i know if i had the money... i would buy one of the mid range projectors would make watching movies a dream lol

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

?
QUOTE Thanks
chris041067

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualG5Lova
i know if i had the money... i would buy one of the mid range projectors would make watching movies a dream lol

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

?
not quite what im looking for but thats still cool...
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

just do a search for input devices...

if you find something thats really nice, post it...i wanna watch tv on my g5 tooo
QUOTE Thanks
sanqi

Will Apple ever make anything like Formac or Elgato's EyeTV? Cause both of those alternatives suck...
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Obviously, when you mean TV, you mean live television, right? Well, the only way I know how to do that on your computer is with the operating system Windows XP: Media Center. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/ Of course, that requires a PC, which defeats the whole purpose of watching it on a Mac. So to answer your question, I really don't know.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade
Obviously, when you mean TV, you mean live television, right? Well, the only way I know how to do that on your computer is with the operating system Windows XP: Media Center. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/ Of course, that requires a PC, which defeats the whole purpose of watching it on a Mac. So to answer your question, I really don't know.
Well I guess then this looks like something that would run through VPC on Mac maybe? :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Well I guess then this looks like something that would run through VPC on Mac maybe? :cool:
No. MCE only runs on certain PC hardware combos. And MS doesnt make it sepeately.... Linux-based ones work (see MythTV.org -- I am working on porting it to PPC, as I am a developer with them...)

--PCjabber
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Well, there's gotta be a way to watch tv on a mac...I know there is...it's just...I don't plan on watching tv on a 12" screen..especially when there are two tv's downstairs (27" & 19"....mine and my roommates)...and I don't have cable anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
natey

You can watch TV on any computer, but what you need is a TV tuner. You can either do it via hardware (get a video card that has a TV tuner built inside of it) or you can get a product that looks like a little box. You plug your cable into it, and on the other end there's a USB connector. Wala! You've got TV.

That goes for any system. You need a TV tuner (TV capture card, or what ever). I'm sure that if you look around you can find such a device. I've seen then before. there's no way (or software) around it, recieving TV needs some kind of TV tuning device -- hardware style.

A good TV capture card from ATI will cost you a few hundred -- and it might work with a mac. It should. I've heard that you can use different video cards in a mac box. But I don't know much about setting it up...Plug and play may work and you may need a driver from ATI.

Check it out. Go to ATI's web site and see what they say about their TV cards, and then do a search on the net for TV to computer tuners. The stand-alone tuner boxes might be more costly, however.

--nate
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best lcd for mac gaming? | Filmmaker needs help »