New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Archival Forum All the old stuff

Can I put external speakers on a eMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bellastrada

bellastrada is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb

I want to put some «real» speakers on my eMac. Nothing very powerful, but I know that there is only a connection for headphone. Can I put something like that : (http://www.futureshop.ca/prodlink.as...S10055036&L=EN) or I'll have to check for something specific?
B.

:cool: The day Microsoft makes something that doesn’t suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners... !

www.icompositions.com/artists/avanos68
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

You call those real speakers? You'll have to spend a little more than $40 to get real, good quality speakers. But if you want 5.1 then I belive you'll have to buy an external sound device that connects via USB.
You would be able to use 2.1 with the basic 3.5mm headphone jack though.
My speakers (what I'd call real speakers): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...56846?v=glance
QUOTE Thanks
Reflow

Reflow is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you have to buy something like this to get your speakers to work
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...imic/index.php

[
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Though that wont support 5.1
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

This one supports 5.1, also from Griffin:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro.../techspecs.php
QUOTE Thanks
amendolair

amendolair is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D

thats more than he wanted to spend for "speakers". i'll tell you right now that you will not regret putting down a little more for some quality speakers, its amazing how much a little bit more money can make such a huge difference.
QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

Mac Specs: IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb

Thanks for all your advices! Now i know that I'll probably have to buy a USB device...
By the way I call those «real» speakers, not because there are good or powerfull! I call them «real» just because there's only two mini speakers on a eMac.

Thanks you all!

:cool: The day Microsoft makes something that doesn’t suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners... !

QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Any 2.1 speakers will work w/ the eMac via the headphone jack.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

I'd stick with 2.1 for a few reasons:

1. No need for a USB device = more money to spend on better speakers
2. 2.1 speakers are generally cheaper than 5.1 so you will be able to get better quality for a better price
3. You'll only need 5.1 for a home entertainment system that you'll want to watch a lot of movies on, if this is the case then the eMac doesn't really have the screen for that kind of thing anyway.

Trust me, go for quality over quantity, after all, isnt that why you're with Mac in the first place?

Have a look at Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II, I'm still totally impressed by these speakers and love them to bits, if they're a little too expensive, go for the JBL Creatures if you can, a little less power and not quite up to the standard of the soundsticks but for their price they are very good quality speakers. You'll do good to find speakers of the same or better quality for the same price.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I love my Klipsch's. They're a great brand.

If your into huge bass, get these.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....6.25.7.11.4.3

I have them. They're terrific; As a DJ, I am a huge speaker person. I love them.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

links broke...

QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

Hum another question about speakers on eMac .... if I buy a 5.1 speakers set and a usb adapter will it work? Do the sound card of my eMAc will be ok for that?.....

QUOTE Thanks
Tel

The external adapter should be recognised as a different sound device and that would obviously be compatible so you'll have no problems there. Let us know why you get! (or plan to get)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any Nikon D2X Users? | Another "How do I do now?" thread.... »