New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Archival Forum All the old stuff

Microphone not working, please help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

Today I purchased an Altec Lansing AHS502i. It is a combination headset with a boom mic. The headset has two 3.5mm jacks (one for headset, the other for the mic). I plugged them in, opened up garage band and the computer would not register any sound coming through the microphone.

I double chedked to make sure I had updated the input settings in Preferences>Sound>Input>Line-In. They were correct.

To isolate the problem I plugged them into my PC (Sony Vaio) and it registered fine. I was able to record using Sound Recorder.

I searched the forums and did not find anything. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

My System:
1.67Ghz PowerBook G4 (15")
1GB RAM
100 GB HD
MAC OS X 10.4.1 (Tiger)

I'm also a recent switcher so if I am missing something that would be obvious to a seasoned Mac user, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

in g band prefs, where it says audio/midi, make sure it says audio input, if your mic is a midi device, select it, if not, close prefs and create a new track by clicking the new track button>real instrument>vocals>no effect or whatever you want, choose setting :stereo, etc, click ok, you should be able to record into that track.
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
in g band prefs, where it says audio/midi, make sure it says audio input, if your mic is a midi device, select it, if not, close prefs and create a new track by clicking the new track button>real instrument>vocals>no effect or whatever you want, choose setting :stereo, etc, click ok, you should be able to record into that track.
Garageband only has one option: Built-in Audio.

Created the new track. Headphones are connected (and mic). Checked Monitor: on so I could hear therough the headphones.

In this state nothing could be heard through the headphones. When I went to system preferences and changed the input setting from Line-in to Internal mic, I could hear the ambient noise in the headphones. Is there another setting that I am missing that would disable the line-in port?

The mic will also not register for voice input either (voice commands). Internal microphone will but the line-in will not.

Any other suggestions?

BTW, thanks for your quick response earlier.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

hmm, are the headphones required? could you try just the mic? or does the mic only work through the headphones?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You also want to check the input level volume to make sure that it is set high enough. Check this not only in GarageBand, but check your System Prefs as well. It is also important to make sure you are selecting the correct "Real Instrument" track for the mic. It should be set to Vocals, not guitar or something like that. Also make sure that you have enabled recording for the track. This is the first button you see in the track itself, were you see the 'mute', 'solo', 'lock' ,etc.
Finally, if you are still not hearing any sound, solo out the new track and try clicking the Play button in GarageBand. Not the Record, but just the Play. Then try talking into the mic and see if it is registering.
Hope this helps. :headphone

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
hmm, are the headphones required? could you try just the mic? or does the mic only work through the headphones?
No joy. Mic alone does not work. I plugged in only the mic and it still did not pick up any sound.

Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
You also want to check the input level volume to make sure that it is set high enough. Check this not only in GarageBand, but check your System Prefs as well. It is also important to make sure you are selecting the correct "Real Instrument" track for the mic. It should be set to Vocals, not guitar or something like that. Also make sure that you have enabled recording for the track. This is the first button you see in the track itself, were you see the 'mute', 'solo', 'lock' ,etc.
Finally, if you are still not hearing any sound, solo out the new track and try clicking the Play button in GarageBand. Not the Record, but just the Play. Then try talking into the mic and see if it is registering.
Hope this helps. :headphone
Theanks for the response D3v1L80Y. Volume input levels are at max. in both garage band and in system preferences. The track I have selected is a "Real Instrument" Vocals>No Effects. I also tried Vocals>Male Basic.

I also solo'd the track, recording was on and is NOT locked. Playing also did not work.

When I switch (in system preferences) to Internal Microphone, I can monitor in the headset. As soon as I switch to line-in, it is like it is Muted. I double checked to make sure no mute was selected on my headset. Still no response.

This is really odd because it works pefectly on my PC. Sounds great, even in Sound Recorder. So I know it is not the mic, it is definitely the Mac.

Is there anyway I can check the acual Microphone Line-in port? I think this might be the problem. I don't have another microphone to plug-in.
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

I found my answer on the apple support page. Apparently the line-in jack on the powerbook will not support UNPOWERED microphones. I'll have to purchase an iMic.

PowerBook G4 audio line in port requires a powered signal
The PowerBook G4 audio line in port takes signals from audio equipment, including line-level devices such as amplified or self-powered microphones, and is specifically designed for high-level audio signal such as the signal from a powered microphone.

If you use a nonpowered microphone with the audio line in port, it will result in a very low volume signal, or possibly no signal at all.

Third-party options, such as Griffin Technology's iMic, allow the use of many mic-level sound input devices with your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erudite.Warrior
I found my answer on the apple support page. Apparently the line-in jack on the powerbook will not support UNPOWERED microphones. I'll have to purchase an iMic.

PowerBook G4 audio line in port requires a powered signal
The PowerBook G4 audio line in port takes signals from audio equipment, including line-level devices such as amplified or self-powered microphones, and is specifically designed for high-level audio signal such as the signal from a powered microphone.

If you use a nonpowered microphone with the audio line in port, it will result in a very low volume signal, or possibly no signal at all.

Third-party options, such as Griffin Technology's iMic, allow the use of many mic-level sound input devices with your computer.
it has been discussed here question about the line in on powerbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« garage band help | Spanning Monitors In The Apple Store »