New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Archival Forum All the old stuff

Help me play WMV on my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrb

I have a Power Mac G4 with OS 10.3.7, 1.5 GB SDRAM and Dual 1 GHz Processors. I have downloaded Windows Media Player 9 for OS X into my Applications folder and it will not work. Every time I try to stream or download a WMV file off a website, the browser freezes (I get the spinning color wheel). This happens with Netscape and Explorer. When I try to open Windows Media Player directly, its icon simply "bounces" in my dock and never fully opens. I always have to force quit the application.

Am I ever going to be able to watch WMV files on my Mac? What am I doing wrong? Every FAQ page or online forum I've gone to has told me to download Windows Media Player for Mac OSX which I've already done repeatedly with no success. Please help!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sounds like something is wrong with your Windows media player...

Try trashing any preferences relating to it, delete the app, reboot and then reinstall the player.

Maybe also try repairing disk permissions.

Applications->utilities->disk utility - select your drive and click repair permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
jrb

Thanks for the info. I tried deleting Windows Media Player but I keep getting several warnings telling me various parts are locked. They're all listed as htm & gif files. There's only one file in the application folder and it is listed as "unlocked". How do I delete this sucker?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If if remember correctly. Press and hold the option key and then select delete. believe that this will delete all files taht are locked with you beening prompted.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

try control clicking the app, select package contents, go through each folder and file in those contents and some will be locked.
QUOTE Thanks
jrb

Okay. I was able to delete Windows Medai Player. I restarted and reinstalled version 9 for Mac OSX. I still can't get it to work. Each time I open the application, nothing happens. The Windows Media Player icon "bounces" in my dock for awhile and then stops. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Who knows where the pref files are for WMP?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>"windows media player prefs". delete that file. I know its not a .plist, but trust me, thats the file to delete. an alternative is to use mplayer or vlc to play windows media files.
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

Just download vlc from versiontracker.com ... plays all types of media... so i f u cant get somthing to play on quicktime or windows media player play it with vlc and it should work... also try using a better browsert then explorer... use safari or firefox!

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« convert and burn? | Xvid / subtitle viewing »