New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Archival Forum All the old stuff

Need source for best guide to set up home theater/digital hub

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

desert_rose

A broken DVD player (set up conventionally to aging TV) has spurred me to investigate using one of our Powerbooks (new G4 1 GHz, 768 MB SDRAM) to set up a new home entertainment center.

I have spent an hour searching MacWorld and other sites (including this one) and apparently my keywords aren't striking what i need.

I simply want a one-stop guide to how best to set up our system to wire our computer to a TV for playing DVDs; stereo or iPod setup (I have a new iPod); and other cool ideas. We have latest Airport Extreme for internet (satellite hookup - we live "off the grid" in the middle of nowhere so that's our main line to the world).

I am starting basic (like i had no idea what DiVx was!). What kind of TV would i need (we don't watch regular TV anyway), stereo, etc? Where is best guide to this on the net?

Thanks!

Roseann/Desert Rose
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I currently have my g4 cube hooked to about 100 watts of reciever power and lots of speakers, Im not sure how to get video from your powerbook to the tv, but I think youll need an adapter like this
I have mine hooked up for surround ound on my mac, no video, I use this
QUOTE Thanks
RPM

Depending on your audio gear (reciever) you can connect it digitally or in analog, like the post above- also demending on the powerbooks out puts. Your TV will need some type of input also, S-video would be the best providing you powerebook has it. If your TV does not have any inputs, just FPiN (cable) you need an RF to Line Level converter.
QUOTE Thanks
desert_rose

Great information, thanks -- but your acronyms and shorthand are Greek to me! That's why this newbie needs some sort of "Total Guide to Digitizing Your Home Entertainment" - in plain English!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
Depending on your audio gear (reciever) you can connect it digitally or in analog, like the post above- also demending on the powerbooks out puts. Your TV will need some type of input also, S-video would be the best providing you powerebook has it. If your TV does not have any inputs, just FPiN (cable) you need an RF to Line Level converter.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ripping/Capturing from stream? | Mac-Forums Film Festival Discussion »