New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

New Apple TV and OS X (Mavericks)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

I just received an APPLE TV for my birthday and after setting it up I'm able to have my iPAD share it's screen and activities on my home theater, cool. But I'm now trying to "share" or link it to my main iTunes library on my iMAC and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can go into the APPLE TV Set Up and when I select COMPUTER I do see my e-mail address but not my iMAC on the network.

I'm running Mavericks on my iMAC.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Did you go into iTunes on the Mac and turn on Home Sharing? See if this helps.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Holy Cow, it was as easy as that. Thanks a million. BTW I GOOGLED for help and couldn't find what you provided.

The Apple TV was what I've been wanting/looking for. I have three floors in my home with a Panasonic plasma and various home theater audio systems and now I can share my library. I'll just need to buy two more Apple TV's.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Glad I could help. Google sometimes guards her treasures. I just set this up a couple of months ago and had to look this up just so I didn't forget something.

QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Got a second Apple TV for Christmas. So I'm really living the good life.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Color me jealous. BTW what kinds of remotes are you using to tie everything together? I'm trying to set up a few macros to simplify things for my wife. She hates it when there are too many remotes.

I have the Red Eye Mini and have re-configured the software a few times as we have changed gear or had problems. It has the ability to assign multi-step macros to buttons which should simplify things.

The principle problem we are having at the moment is that our TV is slow to react to power up requests from the macro. The delay between power on and the next step is not long enough. It is driving me bonkers.

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Color me jealous. BTW what kinds of remotes are you using to tie everything together? I'm trying to set up a few macros to simplify things for my wife. She hates it when there are too many remotes.

I have the Red Eye Mini and have re-configured the software a few times as we have changed gear or had problems. It has the ability to assign multi-step macros to buttons which should simplify things.

The principle problem we are having at the moment is that our TV is slow to react to power up requests from the macro. The delay between power on and the next step is not long enough. It is driving me bonkers.
Try Logitech Harmony remotes. You can add delay between specific sequences in your macros. I have been using Harmony's for years and have never had an issue. They are a little more expensive than most, but worth it IMO to keep our women happy!!

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I will second the Harmony remotes I have the One and it has been great for 2 yrs now.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I had one of the Harmony series at one time (500 I think) annd accidentally cracked the display. I'm going to take one more shot to see if I can get the Mini working properly. I think I might move to the Logitech that works with the iPhone/iPad.

One thing I like about most of the iiDevice based remote solutions is you can create new buttons and name them accordingly. I've tried several of these "macro" learning remotes and on many of them you cannot rename the virtual buttons.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

My Harmony One Advanced has been splendid for the last 5 years, I had to buy a replacement battery for it a couple of years ago but apart from that it's been super.

It also gives you all the basic control button functions for your equipment on the touchscreen at the same time and even doubles up as a Sky remote, but most of my AV equipment is in the same room. If you've got equipment spread over 3 floors you will need 3 units unless you can find some piece of equipment that can take the active IR input from the remote and split it to each location.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TV catchup | Airplay lag/stuttering fix...but not ideal. »