New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

AppleTV doesn't work with iPad Mini, Google hangout

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

visualsup

visualsup is on a distinguished road

Hi all, every time we try to use Apple TV with Google Hangout on our Ipad Mini (with the Google hangout app) the screen goes blank the second the video chat window shows up. Using Apple Airport Wifi router.

Up to that point, Apple TV mirrors everything perfectly (other apps, videos, internet, etc). Is this a bug or some kind of device limitation that prevents Hangout on the Ipad Mini? we already downloaded all the updates both on the iPad mini and the Apple TV console. Our Apple Tv/ Hangout setup does work on the same rig when we use a Mac Mini computer.

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Which Apple TV do you have and which version of software is it running?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
visualsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Which Apple TV do you have and which version of software is it running?
Model: MD199LL/A
Software: 6.0.1 (6646.80.1)

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the app doesn't support AirPlay but I'll try it once I get home.

Does it work OK if you just use the iPad and not Airplay it?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
visualsup

It does work in principle, just goes blank with this app (Google hangouts video chat)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsup View Post
It does work in principle, just goes blank with this app
Sorry, I don't follow what you mean.

If you don't turn on Airplay or mirroring but just start a google hangout does it work?

QUOTE Thanks
visualsup

Until connecting it to Apple TV.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I can't find anywhere to say the Hangouts app supports airplay.

But I'll try it with my Apple TV later

QUOTE Thanks
visualsup

On the same AppleTV device.

Much obliged for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Tried it and had a bit of a dig around. The Google Hangouts app doesn't support Airplay. It's not an iPad or AppleTV issue.

QUOTE Thanks
visualsup

you've helped me greatly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sound bar | Best way to set up a Network Drive for streaming to ATV1 »