Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple TV (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-tv/)
-   -   Apple tv3 Update v6? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-tv/303544-apple-tv3-update-v6.html)

MacGandalf 09-22-2013 08:57 AM

Apple tv3 Update v6?
 
Just checked for latest update v6 via ATV's software updater. Showing to be up-to-date with v5.3.
Just checked Apple Download Pages UK and v6 is no longer showing, must have been pulled for some reason. Posted In case any other UK users are finding the same.

Darker Times 09-22-2013 12:45 PM

Got the update notice yesterday for the Atv3 and it crashed while downloading. Been out today and bought a micro USB cable, so that I can restore the Atv3 in iTunes, but it cannot restore it. I get the error message 1611 after about 10 minutes.

Has anyone any ideas?

Cheers

osxx 09-22-2013 12:47 PM

Unless they found a flaw for the UK version the US version works fine and is still showing you may just have to wait a day or so.

osxx 09-22-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darker Times (Post 1538652)
Got the update notice yesterday for the Atv3 and it crashed while downloading. Been out today and bought a micro USB cable, so that I can restore the Atv3 in iTunes, but it cannot restore it. I get the error message 1611 after about 10 minutes.

Has anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Sadly I bet you will have to take it to the Apple Store I read somewhere they have exchanged certain serial number units you may have to Google it.

MikeM 09-22-2013 01:40 PM

I think that Apple hasn't quite perfected their update process for ATV. I wasn't able to update my ATV2 either using it's update option but was successful plugging it into my PC and using iTunes to update it. Only downside was having to re-enter all my usernames and passwords afterwards, but the update itself was easier than I expected using this method.

MacGandalf 09-22-2013 02:02 PM

post
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1538660)
I think that Apple hasn't quite perfected their update process for ATV. I wasn't able to update my ATV2 either using it's update option but was successful plugging it into my PC and using iTunes to update it. Only downside was having to re-enter all my usernames and passwords afterwards, but the update itself was easier than I expected using this method.

Thanks for that Mike but here in the UK the update is no longer available. We will have to wait until it becomes available once more.

Darker Times 09-22-2013 04:05 PM

Well, Ive been able to download it again today. What time was it withdrawn?

I am really narked at the update, however, a friend of mine has been able to download it, and install it, no problem. So, based on that, it can't be dodgy software.....so why has Apple withdrawn it?

XJ-linux 09-22-2013 06:50 PM

What does the update provide in the way of new features?

osxx 09-22-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ-linux (Post 1538706)
What does the update provide in the way of new features?

About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates

XJ-linux 09-22-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osxx (Post 1538720)

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, nothing jumps out to me personally with a big "WOW". Ah, well.

Lifeisabeach 09-22-2013 10:06 PM

I have the ATV2 and it tells me I'm up to date also on 5.3. *shrug*

MikeM 09-22-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1538760)
I have the ATV2 and it tells me I'm up to date also on 5.3. *shrug*

This is what I was getting as well. iTunes seems to be the only consistent way to update to 6.0.

-Mike

XJ-linux 09-22-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 1538760)
I have the ATV2 and it tells me I'm up to date also on 5.3. *shrug*

Same here. The 5.3 on my ATV2 is apparently as "up to date" as the built in updater is prepared to go at this time. I was contemplating doing the iTunes update, but the content doesn't seem worth it. I'll wait until the ATV relentlessly bothers me to upgrade it every time I use it. ;)

MacGandalf 09-23-2013 03:59 AM

post
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darker Times (Post 1538682)
Well, Ive been able to download it again today. What time was it withdrawn?

I am really narked at the update, however, a friend of mine has been able to download it, and install it, no problem. So, based on that, it can't be dodgy software.....so why has Apple withdrawn it?

Sorry, no idea. I can't see it listed for download on Apple's Download Page UK. See attached screen capture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ-linux (Post 1538772)
Same here. The 5.3 on my ATV2 is apparently as "up to date" as the built in updater is prepared to go at this time. I was contemplating doing the iTunes update, but the content doesn't seem worth it. I'll wait until the ATV relentlessly bothers me to upgrade it every time I use it. ;)

Have to agree think this is what I will do as well. Cheers.

Apple UK Download Page: -

Lifeisabeach 09-23-2013 01:40 PM

Apple has yanked the ATV 6.0 update. Apparently it has been bricking some devices.
Apple pulls Apple TV 6.0 update after reports of bricked set-tops | Electronista


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.