New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple tv3 Update v6?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

I have just read that there are two Apple tv3 updates, one for the 2013 version and one for the 2012 version. Could it be that it has downloaded the wrong firmware?

Also if Apple have bricked the device with a dodgy update, are they likely to replace these?

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Just in. Apple TV software returns one day after being pulled
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I'll wait for the guinea pigs to test this one out.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I'll wait for the guinea pigs to test this one out.
I just did both of my ATV3's no problem and it all works with a new feature to share between them.
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Ive just tried mine this morning. It's downloaded the new update, then it says "Restoring Apple TV" then after 10 mins it says that the update has failed and gives the error code 1611.

Some people have said it's the micro USB cable and that people should try different ones, as they are not all the same. But it opens iTunes when this cable is connected and it tries to update the software, so the cable is fine. Can't see what else it could be.

I wil try to call Apple today in order to find out what the situ is. I am not holding out much hope, because on another forum, one guy contacted them and they told him that part of the agreement when you accept the terms and conditions of the update, is that if it goes wrong and renders your equipment useless, then they are not liable. What a mess!

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker Times View Post
Ive just tried mine this morning. It's downloaded the new update, then it says "Restoring Apple TV" then after 10 mins it says that the update has failed and gives the error code 1611.

Some people have said it's the micro USB cable and that people should try different ones, as they are not all the same. But it opens iTunes when this cable is connected and it tries to update the software, so the cable is fine. Can't see what else it could be.

I wil try to call Apple today in order to find out what the situ is. I am not holding out much hope, because on another forum, one guy contacted them and they told him that part of the agreement when you accept the terms and conditions of the update, is that if it goes wrong and renders your equipment useless, then they are not liable. What a mess!
Apple does not like bad PR give them a call plus you do not always know the full story on he said she said.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Just checked my ATV3 and update to v6 offered. Downloaded OTA. No problems to speak of. No iTunes Radio for us Brits yet though.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Apple does not like bad PR give them a call plus you do not always know the full story on he said she said.
Well I'm glad I took your advice. Spoke to Apple yesterday morning, explained the full situation, and they are sending me a new one in the post.

Cheers

Philip

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker Times View Post
Well I'm glad I took your advice. Spoke to Apple yesterday morning, explained the full situation, and they are sending me a new one in the post.

Cheers

Philip
I always give them a shot when I can not figure it out or get an answer in the forum which in this forum that is rare as we have some of the smartest Mac enthusiasts around.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

v6.0.1 released. Do an update check to get it.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

One ATV3 updated just fine the second one I had to do over now both are updated.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

6.1 is out now. Did one tonight and will the other tomorrow as well. SLOW download speed; same with the 7.1 iPhone/iPad updates.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to get plex working on Apple Tv 3? | Syncing Movies to Apple TV 1 »