New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

New White Apple Remote wont work with Apple T.V. 3rd gen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rossikool

rossikool is on a distinguished road

Basically I lost my aluminum remote that come with the apple tv 3rd gen and I lost it, so I purchased a brand new white remote which I received today and it wont pair up with my apple tv at all. I have tried pressing just one button but the light on the apple tv doesn't even flicker or change. I find it highly thrustrating that I spend money on something that doesn't work.

I have tried holding menu and fast forward or even menu and rewind and nothing happens at all.

Please help cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

White remote? From Apple? They don't currently sell a white one. It's aluminum. Where exactly did you get this?

Here's Apple's support page on pairing remotes to the ATV:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rossikool

rossikool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
White remote? From Apple? They don't currently sell a white one. It's aluminum. Where exactly did you get this?

Here's Apple's support page on pairing remotes to the ATV:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555
I purchased it through eBay and its brand new. I have ordered another battery just incase it's a dead one. Fingers crossed its a dead battery and not a fault with the remote.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If it is the remote I think it is things should work. I sometimes use the one that came with my 2008 MacBook Pro with no issues. If you can't get this to work you can use one of those universal remotes as well.

There is a trick to using the "universal" remote though. Do not try to teach the universal remote the commands from the Apple remote. If you can get to the setup portion of the Apple TV somewhere in there is a series of simple steps to set up different remotes for use with the Apple TV. Basically you trigger the procedure it shows you a command on screen and you touch the button on the remote that you want to learn the command. In essence you are teaching Apple TV rather than the remote.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossikool View Post
I purchased it through eBay and its brand new. I have ordered another battery just incase it's a dead one. Fingers crossed its a dead battery and not a fault with the remote.
I'm wondering more if it's a fake. Anywho, here's a link for troubleshooting the Apple Remote:
https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1722

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Mavericks

I had a white Apple remote which was for an Apple iPod dock, not the ATV. Could that be what you have ended up with?

It looked like this:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor Interference | Slow Buffering »