New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV connection problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

I just bought the latest ATV and connected it to my office TV (LG 720P HDMI) for a test and it worked great. Then I moved it to my main TV and it doesn't. Here's my equipment:
  • Samsung HLN567W DLP 720P TV set with DVI input (Note this is a 9 year old DLP that predated HDMI)
  • Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver (HDMI)
I currently connect Sony Bluray and DirecTV boxes via HDMI to the Onkyo; the Onkyo then outputs HDMI through an HDMI->DVI adapter to the TV. Works perfectly.

So I connected my new ATV the same way...and the TV shows "unsupported mode". I thought it may be becasue the ATV was set to 1080P so I took it back upstairs and set it to 720p. I also set the Onkyo to down-res all HDMI inputs to 720p. No change, still shows unsupported mode.

I'm at a loss what to check next...any ideas?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only guessing - it's an HDCP issue and don't know of a way around it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

That's a good thought but the TV has that capability. In fact, it was that very issue when I bought my first HDMI components that caused a problem, but it was still under warranty (by 2 weeks ) and they replaced the video board and voilé it worked great.

So, I'm thinking probably not but...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

As bobtomay pointed out its a handshake issue that I see on a monthly basis with older gear and monitors with DVI some equipment plays well others do not , just because there are standards does not mean every mfg follows them .
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Sigh...ok thanks. Guess the ATV goes back upstairs until the TV finally dies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Atv 3 | Apple TV cuts off from Airport express »