New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Atv 3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Attention Apple TV gurus: Apparently my status as MOTM does not impress my new Apple TV3. As expected everything hooked up quickly with the only bump being having to enter my network password twice. I am using the current OS X and iTunes. Home sharing is on and set to share my entire library. Here are the issues at the moment:

1. Not all content in the library appears even when in a format the ATV can read. For example, some audiobooks appear in the ATV list while others in the same format do not appear on the ATV. These files work fine in iTunes and appear properly there.

2. Some of the audiobooks which do appear ask for authorization. This seems to be a password issue though since e the same thing happens on the Mac. We are gathering appropriate passwords for those files.

3. One of the playlists in my library consists of internet radio stations. It's kind of a favorites. It appears on the ATV and the right number of links is shown on the total. When you click the playlist to see the individual links the ATV thinks there is nothing there.

Any thoughts?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Haven't used my audiobooks nor internet radio on my ATV, so can't really help.
If they're from Audible, make sure you've got them authorized in iTunes.

Thought I'd give ya a bump though and ask if you've got any good Blues stations in that playlist?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks. Hopefully someone has an answer. I also have the media on an Iomega EZ Media and Backup Center which is supposed to have an iTunes server built in though I have not gotten that working yet. Their directions are less than stellar to say the least.

The playlist of favorites is indeed all Blues at the moment though other things will be added to it. I recreated it recently and I'm still tracking down some of the things that were in it. It currently includes the following:

Aardvark Blues FM which already in iTunes. I added it to this playlist so I could get to it without wading through so much other stuff in iTunes.

Red River Radio
WWOZ New Orleans Public Radio
KXCI Tucson AZ Public Radio
Currently a two hour time difference but when the next time change occurs they will only be one hour behind. That makes things a bit confusing,

I recently re-discovered these after looking the links some time ago. At one point I had several other stations in the list.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I also have the media on an Iomega EZ Media and Backup Center which is supposed to have an iTunes server built in though I have not gotten that working yet.
Welcome to the club. I've got a WD MyBook Live that has a built in iTunes server...that does not work. I think Apple changed something along the way that broke compatibility.

Is all of your content "checked" in iTunes? I don't know if the ATV can differentiate between unchecked and checked media however.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Welcome to the club. I've got a WD MyBook Live that has a built in iTunes server...that does not work. I think Apple changed something along the way that broke compatibility.

Is all of your content "checked" in iTunes? I don't know if the ATV can differentiate between unchecked and checked media however.
I had not thought of unchecked items as a possible cause. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be it. I didn't look at every missing item but checked several of them and they were all checked.

This issue with iTunes media servers not working is a long standing problem though for at least some devices. I bought one about three years ago and it never really worked well. When the drive in it died after just a few months I binned the thing and said good riddance.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I really wish it worked but in the mean time, I can simply point XBMC to the drive and use the remote app to manage it.

Take a look here. It looks as if the ATV can be picky about sources and purchases.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks Van. I had not seen that post. yesterday was the first day with the ATV so I'm still working out a few things.

DRM may be an issue in some cases. It is a pretty good bet that the email account used for some things is not the same for all of them. It's also the password.authentication issue on some of the audiobooks. That can't be all that is going on though. The Internet radio favorites playlist contains four items at the moment. All four play fine on the Mac. On the ATV none play from that playlist. The one that is already pre-included in iTunes plays fine on the ATV.

The Internet Radio favorites list is a regular playlist. I wonder if creating it as a Smart Playlist would make a difference?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ATV and Airport Extreme | Apple TV connection problem »