New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Streaming to Apple TV Suddenly Not Working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derekeverett

derekeverett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s

Hi all,

Today, all of a sudden neither of my 2 Apple TV's are seeing my iTunes library. I am able to stream Youtube etc. so I know it's not a router issue. Not to mention that I can use the wifi just fine with my iPhone and Macbook.

I did the Apple TV update that came out a couple days ago on both units. I have used them both successfully since that time as well, so I'm hesitant to blame the update.

I have not made any changes to my iTunes preferences in months, however just for good measure I double checked and my home sharing is on.

I have also rebooted the Apple TV units, my modem and router, my iMac (the source of my streaming) and iTunes each a few times now. No luck. Apple TV still gives me the message to turn my home sharing on.

Everything was working fine yesterday, but today nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Sorry folks... my bad. It's fixed now. I have 2 Internet connections and for whatever reason my iMac switched over to the secondary connection while the Apple TV uses the first for streaming. I should have caught that quickly. I take back all the cursing about Apple I did behind closed doors as well.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

ok, I spoke too fast. lol sorry.

While the mac had switched to the other iso, that has now been fixed. I have also reset all the settings on the Apple TV and gone through set-up again, still can't see my shared library... very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Seems like I've read turning off and then turning back on HomeSharing would take care of this. Need to turn it off on your Apple TV and in iTunes. Turn it back on in iTunes, then your Apple TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Seems like I've read turning off and then turning back on HomeSharing would take care of this. Need to turn it off on your Apple TV and in iTunes. Turn it back on in iTunes, then your Apple TV.
Good idea, I tried it and now I can access the library, but it won't actually stream anything. I'm starting to really want to blame this latest Apple TV update but I can't seem to find anyone else online having issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Lariat

Lariat is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues since the latest update, too. I can't get beyond the main screen when selecting Movies or TV. I select, I click, the screen goes black, I get the "timer" icon and the words "Accessing iTunes Library," and then right back to the main screen. Other parts like Netflix, Flickr, YouTube, work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

This is a big deal to me. If I can't get it working soon I'll be switching to another streaming product. That will break the cozy little Apple eco-system I've been enjoying. No reason not to start looking at Android then too. I'm still hooked on OS X but I can let the tablets and streaming devices go if it's gonna be a pain in the ***.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

This happens to me occasionally if I call up the Apple TV activity on my AV set up and forget to check that iTunes is actually open.

I have to turn everything off (i.e choose a different activity on my AV set up and quit iTunes) and then on again starting with iTunes.

The 'switches' somehow get latched in a sort of 'deadly embrace' or deadlock

Deadlock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Lariat

Another thing that's gone haywire since the latest update: my AppleTV now never goes to sleep. It doesn't matter what preference I've selected (I currently have selected sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity), it stays on forever.

I hope an update to the update is happening soon.
QUOTE Thanks
Lariat

Apple is aware of the problem and has posted the solution on a support page.

The solution involves signing out of your iTunes Store Account on the Apple TV, and then signing back in again.

The complete instructions are here:

Apple TV: Unable to access Movies, TV Shows, or other iTunes features after updating

It worked for me.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and all of a sudden my ATV1 couldn't stream my media thats on a USB drive. Otherwise, XMBC fully functional. I read something about SMB being problematic and installed SMBup which seemed to help but sometimes on power downs of the ATV1 it requires me to stop/restart Samba in SMBup. I don't know what thats all about but it works. Never had this much grief with previous OS, so I'm blaming it partly on user ignorance and Lion LOL. I had been using Jailbroken ATV for 2 years with variants of Boxee and XMBC.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV to Mac | Photo sharing on Apple TV »