New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Stream iPhone content to Apple TV without using a router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

supercharge

supercharge is on a distinguished road

I'm getting ready to go out of town and I'd like to hook my AppleTV up to the hotel TV and stream content from my phone. Usually this requires a WiFi router/switch, but I will also be taking my Macbook Pro and I was hoping that I use that as a base station/switch if connected to the AppleTV.

This is what I've tried:
  • Connected Laptop to AppleTV via Ethernet
  • On laptop, created a new network (tried w/ and w/o password)
  • Turned internet sharing on, from WiFi, sharing Ethernet
  • Connected phone to the network

Even though the phone connects to the computer-to-computer network (there's a checkmark and no error), the phone does not use it. Instead of the image (4 arc radio icon) in the status bar it uses LTE. I tried switching LTE off and that made no difference. My guess is that it's not using the network, because the iPhone will try to send something over the internet and because it fails, it won't use it?

However, even if that did work, I'm not sure AirPlay would work on the phone. From what I've read, someone else has bypassed a router in the past. Also, from what I know of hardware, I should have all the parts needed. This is just a matter of getting it to work and I don't know if I have to create a virtual device, or what I have to do.

Any help is appreciated. From the news I've been reading, the new AppleTV might be able to do this directly, but that doesn't help me right now.

Hardware:
  • iPhone 5 - iOS 6.0.1 (did not install 6.0.2 because there have been stated battery problems)
  • MacbookPro Early 2011 - OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
QUOTE Thanks
Dr Mac

Dr Mac is on a distinguished road

does yor phone use 4g or 3g because if it is 4g then the area may not suppourt it as may yet do not so you will have to pay for the wifi
Dr Mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not cross post or post the same thing to a different forum. Your cross post has been removed.
QUOTE Thanks
supercharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mac View Post
does yor phone use 4g or 3g because if it is 4g then the area may not suppourt it as may yet do not so you will have to pay for the wifi
Dr Mac
I don't understand your question or how it relates to what I posted. I don't think you understand what's being asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Please do not cross post or post the same thing to a different forum. Your cross post has been removed.
chscag, I suppose mac-forums does not have a way of mirroring a question, as I could not find one. I decided to instead copy/re-post the question in a different forum. Why might I do this? Some members pay attention to, and/or visit, particular forums with which they have expertise, some members don't even look at other forums, besides forums they have interest in.

Seeing how this relates to networking, AppleTV, iPhone, Macbook, and OSX, you can understand my confusion in where to properly pose the question. I originally decided to go with internet/networking, but looking at the other questions asked, it did not seem like it was a spot where advanced questions may get answered, so I decided to also post where AirPlay may see the biggest result (AppleTV). Notice, I did not also post in the iPhone/OS/Macbook forums, just in the two.

What I would suggest is for the site to have a way of posting to more than one forum. Such that it isn't duplicated in the back end, but instead has proper pointers to the same post. Perhaps something similar to how Stack Overflow has tagging. Additionally, I would suggest that you PM this response, rather than create a post that clutters the thread with unrelated material. I'd suspect that much like my duplicate post may have broken some rule, so would this post that is really a message to an individual that has no relation to the question being asked, which beckons a response and further clutters the thread.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The problem that I have noted is that even if you create a computer generated network with your Macs Airport, the iPhone won't join it unless there is actually an internet data connection somewhere. I've tried something similar to what you are talking about and the phone consistently fails unless I get the Mac hooked up to the internet. My assumption is that the iPhone does some sort of check for either an actual router or an actual internet connection.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharge View Post
Additionally, I would suggest that you PM this response, rather than create a post that clutters the thread with unrelated material. I'd suspect that much like my duplicate post may have broken some rule, so would this post that is really a message to an individual that has no relation to the question being asked, which beckons a response and further clutters the thread.
The reason this is done is so everyone that has been into this thread knows whats going on. If for example that someone posted in your other thread, Staff would of merged your threads as well as letting you and everyone else know that the threads have been merged, so as to not go on a wild goose chase.

I suggest if you have a idea or would like something implemented to post in the Community Suggestions and Feedback - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services forum, OR PM the Staff as to not clutter your own thread with unrelated clutter

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
supercharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The problem that I have noted is that even if you create a computer generated network with your Macs Airport, the iPhone won't join it unless there is actually an internet data connection somewhere. I've tried something similar to what you are talking about and the phone consistently fails unless I get the Mac hooked up to the internet. My assumption is that the iPhone does some sort of check for either an actual router or an actual internet connection.
That is odd.

I don't remember exactly what I tried (I tried many things), but I think I plugged my laptop into my router via Ethernet and the iPhone still could not connect - I could be confused with when I plugged the laptop to the ATV via ethernet, but it might be worth trying again.

If so, that's unacceptable, especially if your'e serving your own home network off the grid. I also have windows via Parallels and am wondering if there's another option that I could do.
QUOTE Thanks
supercharge

I'm not sure I posted this here, but the rumor mill had it that the new -TVs (2013) will be able to stream between devices w/o the need for a 3rd device to serve as a network switch - this could be wonderful and exactly what I need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Live Streaming Options | Completing Season on 1st Gen Apple TV »