New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

What to buy? Apple TV or cables?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Applesince2009

Applesince2009 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13' new iPad 16gb WiFi iPhone4 32gb

Hi everybody. My first Thread
I have iPhone, iPad and MBA. I want to connect them with my LCD TV.
Cheaper solution is to buy one "mini DP to HDMI cable" for my MBA and one "30-pin to HDMI cable" for my iPad/iPhone. Or I could buy an AppleTV for 99$.
I live in Turkey and iTunes doesn't function here as music and movie source, only Apps can be bought.
So... Should I buy an AppleTV or two cables? What do you think? Are there any technical differences between those two alternatives? Will the Apple TV show everything on the screen of my LCD TV that I see on the screen of my iPad / MBA? Or does it depend on what type of file I'm watching on my iPad/MBA?
Thx.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesince2009 View Post
Hi everybody. My first Thread
I have iPhone, iPad and MBA. I want to connect them with my LCD TV.
Cheaper solution is to buy one "mini DP to HDMI cable" for my MBA and one "30-pin to HDMI cable" for my iPad/iPhone. Or I could buy an AppleTV for 99$.
I live in Turkey and iTunes doesn't function here as music and movie source, only Apps can be bought.
So... Should I buy an AppleTV or two cables? What do you think? Are there any technical differences between those two alternatives? Will the Apple TV show everything on the screen of my LCD TV that I see on the screen of my iPad / MBA? Or does it depend on what type of file I'm watching on my iPad/MBA?
Thx.
Depends on the year and model of each along with what OS/iOS ?
QUOTE Thanks
Applesince2009

Hi OSXX.
iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1
new iPad with iOS 5.1.1
MBA product of 2012 with OS X
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The iPad and the MBA will mirror using the ATV all wirelessly the iPhone 4 will only do airplay.
To me mirroring is worth it .
QUOTE Thanks
Applesince2009

Got it. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I wasn't all that pleased with mirroring but maybe I was doing something wrong. It seemed to show a lot of compression artifacts when playing movies. I have last year's air and am wired to the network. When I added the same movie to itunes and streamed it - it all played fine.

Anyway the apple tv is an elegant solution which I like - but the two cable system works - except you have to swap and plug whereas the apple tv is always ready to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I agree with Ivan. The mirroring feature is near useless, at least for full motion video anyway. Besides, to use the mirroring feature, you'd have to have an AppleTV anyway. That doesn't really solve the question of whether he should get an ATV or cables for the other devices.

I would say that your answer depends on what it is you want to accomplish. If you want to simply play videos, then the ATV is the way to go. You can stream the videos from iTunes on the MacBook (using Home Sharing, NOT AirPlay) and save the hassle of multiple cables and connecting/disconnecting devices. It'd also be adequate for using AirPlay to mirror "static" content off your iDevices, like web pages, documents, etc.

If your media content is stored on your iDevices, then you'd be better off using cables to connect them directly.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I agree with the 2 above as well ^^ with the mirroring movie content. I tried to watch a few movies via Mirroring and they where unwatchable, but in general the function works quite well for basic screen mirroring.
I think the ATV is still the way to go because you need to think if you have cables you need to be in so many feet of the TV to use that function. If you get the ATV you can be anywhere to mirror both devices.

I will say mirroring on my iPhone playing games works very good and i have never had any lag or pixelation going on when playing them.
As lifeisabeach posted depends on exactly what you want to accomplish.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Applesince2009

All right. Summary:
1) I should expect problems while airplaying movies from my MBA. Streaming from iTunes via Homesharing is the solution for that. (Will I have this problem while mirroring, say, YouTube from my iPad, too ?)
2) Mirroring static screens (pics, web pages) would be flawless.
3) Mirroring games from my iPhone or iPad would be okay, too (I didn't think of that, by the way. My son will love it).
4) AppleTV is more practical to connect and more tidy for the living room.
5) But, I'm gonna have to converte several movie formats for iTunes, right?

If no other warnings appear, it looks like AppleTV instead of two cables :-)
Thank you OSXX, IvanLasston, lifeisabeach and Tattooedmac
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesince2009 View Post
All right. Summary:
1) I should expect problems while airplaying movies from my MBA. Streaming from iTunes via Homesharing is the solution for that. (Will I have this problem while mirroring, say, YouTube from my iPad, too ?)
Yes, you would. But there is a YouTube app on the AppleTV anyway.

Quote:
2) Mirroring static screens (pics, web pages) would be flawless.
Expect a lag when changing pages, but yes.

Quote:
3) Mirroring games from my iPhone or iPad would be okay, too (I didn't think of that, by the way. My son will love it).
It depends on the game. Card games and anything that is more or less static until you make a move should be ok. Racing games and action games in general, no.

Quote:
4) AppleTV is more practical to connect and more tidy for the living room.
Correct.

Quote:
5) But, I'm gonna have to converte several movie formats for iTunes, right?
Possibly. Depends on how your media is formatted now.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV Problems | Multiple I-PAD - ONE A-TV »