New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV buffering on 40 Mbps fibre broadband

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rhodevans

Rhodevans is on a distinguished road

Can anyone suggest why my Apple TV 2nd generation buffers even with 40 Mbps fibre broadband?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodevans View Post
Can anyone suggest why my Apple TV 2nd generation buffers even with 40 Mbps fibre broadband?
It can be quite a few things actually and not just speed. For example the video might have to take quite a route to your ISP first and when it gets to your home, your router might be suspect or the connections between your equipment might be poor. You could have a choked up WAN with lots of devices on the one frequency, an old version of Adobe Flash or some anti-virus software might be mixing you a bottle..hardware, software...sheesh.

I'd start with your Mac first and give that some maintenance using a free app for example Onyx and just use the 'Automatic' tab and get the latest version of Flash.

Reboot everything, Mac, ATV, Router (pull the plug) and see if things improve. Can you swap out your Mac for a different one..this will tell you whether it is your machine that is at fault or not?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Welcome to the forums....
You need to do a bit of fault findin yourself here too. Do you get 40Mbps down using something like Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test, or is this just the promised speeds your ISP promised you will be getting ??
Does a normal DL of say a 1gb file download to your expectations ??
In YouTube watching a HD clip do you get any buffering there ?? These are simple little things you can do yourself to try and bottleneck the problem you have.
Is your ATV up to date ?? Knock out those you can do and with pendlewitch's advice weed out some of them and get back to us...

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV3 doesn't show YouTube and otehr icons | AppleTV + Eye TV + Mac Mini + 2 HDTVs »