New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Can I .. With Apple TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anonymust

anonymust is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (Santa Rosa) 250GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8x SuperDrive

OK I want to get an Apple TV.
Currently I have a Macbook Pro, iPhone 4S and a Windows Desktop
I live in an dorm type house with "housemates" with wired and wifi.

My configuration is as followed. I have one HD monitor connected to my Windows Desptop on LAN (wired internet), iPhone and Macbook on Wifi. and when I get the Apple TV i will hook it up via Wifi.

before I buy I want to know if I am able to do a few things.
So can I........
  • Play movies from my windows desktop on my Apple TV
  • Switch my HD monitor between viewing my windows Desktop and my Macbook (will be connecrted over HDMI so audio will be via HDMI also)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

1) You can play the movies from your Windows desktop as long as they are in iTunes and are an ATV compatible format. Go to Apples ATV page and look under Tech Specs to see what formats the ATV will play/stream.

2) Assuming that the monitor allows multiple HDMI hookups and can switch between modes then you should be able to. You'll need to get the HDMI converter cable to hook up to your Macbook Pro.

QUOTE Thanks
anonymust

anonymust is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (Santa Rosa) 250GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8x SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post

2) Assuming that the monitor allows multiple HDMI hookups and can switch between modes then you should be able to. You'll need to get the HDMI converter cable to hook up to your MacBook Pro.
If I understood you correctly, I need to have my MacBook plugged into my monitor screen (via HDMI) at all times to display my laptop screen?...

So I cant lay in my bed with my laptop, watching a movie and "mirror" my screen (along with audio) over wifi to my monitor ?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
So I cant lay in my bed with my laptop, watching a movie and "mirror" my screen (along with audio) over wifi to my monitor ?
It all depends on how you want to do it and/or which MBP and OSX version you have.

If the video is in iTunes the AppleTV can play it wirelessly via HomeSharing. If it's not in iTunes you'll need to mirror your display.

To natively mirror you MBP it needs to be the early 2011 or newer model running Mountain Lion.

If it's not you can get Air Parrot which gives you similar functionality.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Air Parrot works, but not all that well IMO.

As previously stated, you need to have a relatively new Macbook Pro to do the mirroring natively (I actually forgot about mirroring when I replied earlier).

QUOTE Thanks
SurReality89

SurReality89 is on a distinguished road

how do you do the mirror natively? i have an air that i got at the end of 2011.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV "Doesn't Work" | How to turn on Airplay Mirroring on my iMac without being at my iMac?? »