New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV3 doesn't show YouTube and otehr icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ontheway

ontheway is on a distinguished road

I have an Apple TV3 (purchased in Australia). When I turn it on I only get the "Computers" and "Settings' icons. I do not get the YouTube, Photo and other icons that I could access on my old Apple TV2. The attached image shows the icons that should show up.

I thought the problem may be related to me updating to IOS6 until I realised that it did the same thing while running the previous IOS

I have reset the Apple TV3 but the problem still persists.

I wondered if this problem has anything to do with the fact that I am accessing the unit in Indonesia but my old Apple TV2 is working fine in Indonesia.

Anyone had the same problem? As it stands at the moment, I am locked into only being able to access movies and music etc from iTunes which is running on my MacBook Air.
Attached Images
File Type: png Apple TV screen.png (398.3 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

I had a problem with youtube early days after set up with my ATV2 . It just disappeared for a few days and I couldn't access it.

Have you considered that the authorities may be blocking access to it because of that negative islamic film ? It's happened in other islamic countries.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
ontheway

Thank you for your response pendlewitch.

The Apple TV3 has been only allowing me to access "Computers" and "Settings" ever since I first set it up in Indo (after purchasing it at Melb Tullamarine Duty Free).

I don't think the authorities are blocking anything due to that stupid anti-islamic movie.

I have an APpplt TV2 setup on a tv downstairs and it is showing all the appropriate choices - eg Flicker, YouTube, Photos etc.

It is a mystery!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That's what happens when it starts up and doesn't have a valid internet connection. What you see also varies depending on the country.

So the first things to check are the network and country settings

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ontheway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
That's what happens when it starts up and doesn't have a valid internet connection. What you see also varies depending on the country.

So the first things to check are the network and country settings
mrplow

What do mean by a "valid internet connection"? Where would I check the country settings?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Valid as in working.

In the Settings menu select General - Network there should be a valid IP address. At least the first two parts of the IP address eg 111.222.333.444 should be the same as your Macbooks IP

To find your MacBooks IP:
System Preferences - Network
Select Airport or Ethernet (depending on how you're connected) from the sidebar.
If you're connected to the Internet, the Network window will tell you so in the upper-right corner. Your IP address should be shown under your connection status

In settings there are country settings to make sure you time zone is correct and to make sure the Apple Store is set to the correct locale.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ontheway

Quote:
Valid as in working.

In the Settings menu select General - Network there should be a valid IP address. At least the first two parts of the IP address eg 111.222.333.444 should be the same as your Macbooks IP

To find your MacBooks IP:
System Preferences - Network
Select Airport or Ethernet (depending on how you're connected) from the sidebar.
If you're connected to the Internet, the Network window will tell you so in the upper-right corner. Your IP address should be shown under your connection status

In settings there are country settings to make sure you time zone is correct and to make sure the Apple Store is set to the correct locale.
I checked teh IP addresses as the IP address on Apple TV3 has the same 9 numbers. The last number of the IP address on MacBook Air is 9, while on the Apple TV is 6.

i have moved the old Apple TV2 and attached it to the TV that usually is connected to Apple TV3 and the 2 works as it should.

I have attached a photo of what shows up on Apple TV2 & 3
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Can't see the photo I'm afraid and not sure if you've looked at the country settings.

However, I'd suggest going into settings and resetting the Apple TV, power down and restart entering the settings as it were fresh out of the box.

QUOTE Thanks
ontheway

Quote:
Can't see the photo I'm afraid and not sure if you've looked at the country settings.

However, I'd suggest going into settings and resetting the Apple TV, power down and restart entering the settings as it were fresh out of the box.
The images won't upload ... don't know why.

Yes, i checked the country settings.All seems ok there.

I have already reset the Apple TV3 and the problem persists.

I have already owned and used two Apple TV2s which I had no problems with in Indonesia or Australia. No such luck with the 3!

Thank you for trying to help.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
The images won't upload ... don't know why.

Yes, i checked the country settings.All seems ok there.

I have already reset the Apple TV3 and the problem persists.

I have already owned and used two Apple TV2s which I had no problems with in Indonesia or Australia. No such luck with the 3!

Thank you for trying to help.
There is one further thing you can do if you think that it's the box that is the problem. Restore it via iTunes to Factory settings. You'll need a micro-usb cable and the box needs to be completely disconnected from everything before you plug it into your Mac.

Follow these instructions here Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display music menu | Apple TV buffering on 40 Mbps fibre broadband »