Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2012
    Posts
    5
    Apple TV3 doesn't show YouTube and otehr icons
    I have an Apple TV3 (purchased in Australia). When I turn it on I only get the "Computers" and "Settings' icons. I do not get the YouTube, Photo and other icons that I could access on my old Apple TV2. The attached image shows the icons that should show up.

    I thought the problem may be related to me updating to IOS6 until I realised that it did the same thing while running the previous IOS

    I have reset the Apple TV3 but the problem still persists.

    I wondered if this problem has anything to do with the fact that I am accessing the unit in Indonesia but my old Apple TV2 is working fine in Indonesia.

    Anyone had the same problem? As it stands at the moment, I am locked into only being able to access movies and music etc from iTunes which is running on my MacBook Air.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    I had a problem with youtube early days after set up with my ATV2 . It just disappeared for a few days and I couldn't access it.

    Have you considered that the authorities may be blocking access to it because of that negative islamic film ? It's happened in other islamic countries.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for your response pendlewitch.

    The Apple TV3 has been only allowing me to access "Computers" and "Settings" ever since I first set it up in Indo (after purchasing it at Melb Tullamarine Duty Free).

    I don't think the authorities are blocking anything due to that stupid anti-islamic movie.

    I have an APpplt TV2 setup on a tv downstairs and it is showing all the appropriate choices - eg Flicker, YouTube, Photos etc.

    It is a mystery!

  4. #4

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,868
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    That's what happens when it starts up and doesn't have a valid internet connection. What you see also varies depending on the country.

    So the first things to check are the network and country settings
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    That's what happens when it starts up and doesn't have a valid internet connection. What you see also varies depending on the country.

    So the first things to check are the network and country settings
    mrplow

    What do mean by a "valid internet connection"? Where would I check the country settings?

  6. #6

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,868
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Valid as in working.

    In the Settings menu select General - Network there should be a valid IP address. At least the first two parts of the IP address eg 111.222.333.444 should be the same as your Macbooks IP

    To find your MacBooks IP:
    System Preferences - Network
    Select Airport or Ethernet (depending on how you're connected) from the sidebar.
    If you're connected to the Internet, the Network window will tell you so in the upper-right corner. Your IP address should be shown under your connection status


    In settings there are country settings to make sure you time zone is correct and to make sure the Apple Store is set to the correct locale.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Valid as in working.

    In the Settings menu select General - Network there should be a valid IP address. At least the first two parts of the IP address eg 111.222.333.444 should be the same as your Macbooks IP

    To find your MacBooks IP:
    System Preferences - Network
    Select Airport or Ethernet (depending on how you're connected) from the sidebar.
    If you're connected to the Internet, the Network window will tell you so in the upper-right corner. Your IP address should be shown under your connection status


    In settings there are country settings to make sure you time zone is correct and to make sure the Apple Store is set to the correct locale.
    I checked teh IP addresses as the IP address on Apple TV3 has the same 9 numbers. The last number of the IP address on MacBook Air is 9, while on the Apple TV is 6.

    i have moved the old Apple TV2 and attached it to the TV that usually is connected to Apple TV3 and the 2 works as it should.

    I have attached a photo of what shows up on Apple TV2 & 3

  8. #8

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,868
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Can't see the photo I'm afraid and not sure if you've looked at the country settings.

    However, I'd suggest going into settings and resetting the Apple TV, power down and restart entering the settings as it were fresh out of the box.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Can't see the photo I'm afraid and not sure if you've looked at the country settings.

    However, I'd suggest going into settings and resetting the Apple TV, power down and restart entering the settings as it were fresh out of the box.
    The images won't upload ... don't know why.

    Yes, i checked the country settings.All seems ok there.

    I have already reset the Apple TV3 and the problem persists.

    I have already owned and used two Apple TV2s which I had no problems with in Indonesia or Australia. No such luck with the 3!

    Thank you for trying to help.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
    The images won't upload ... don't know why.

    Yes, i checked the country settings.All seems ok there.

    I have already reset the Apple TV3 and the problem persists.

    I have already owned and used two Apple TV2s which I had no problems with in Indonesia or Australia. No such luck with the 3!

    Thank you for trying to help.
    There is one further thing you can do if you think that it's the box that is the problem. Restore it via iTunes to Factory settings. You'll need a micro-usb cable and the box needs to be completely disconnected from everything before you plug it into your Mac.

    Follow these instructions here Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple tv3 Update v6?
    By MacGandalf in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:28 PM
  2. streaming to Apple tv3
    By MacGandalf in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM
  3. Apple TV3
    By New2M in forum Apple TV
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
  4. Apple Dock doesn't show active applications
    By insanesaint in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 08:59 PM
  5. Sidebar icons show up as folders
    By Betty Lenon in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •