Specs:
    iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
    Display music menu
    Apple TV displays menu options when I select "Movies" "TV shows" "Computers" and "Settings'.
    But, does not show a menu when "Music" is selected. What does show in upper portion of screen is an iCloud icon and this message:

<To access your music library in iCloud subscribe to iTunes Match using iTunes on your computer.>

My question is why should I pay $25 to access items that I already own and can send to the TV if desired without additional cost?
    Isn't there a way to just go to the music menu as I can in iTunes store?

Also the Apple TV does not show in my iTunes page, nor does an Apple TV device show on the sidebar of iTunes like the iPod does. Is that normal?

ATV connects via wifi from my iMac and hdmi to TV.

Your solution is eagerly awaited…..thanks,

Bill

Did you turn on Home Sharing in the Apple TV prefs and in iTunes? And do you have iTunes open? If you had, then you'd be able to play your music directly from your Mac.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    That menu is a specific thing to share music across iCloud. It is $25 a year because what is really happening is iTunes is matching your music library to what is in iTunes - then sending you the iTunes version across iCloud. It is part of iTunes match. If you want to just access music from within your own network - then the proper way to do it on the ATV is to go to Computers and play the music from there.
    Apple - iTunes - Match
    One of the times Apple made life more confusing because as you expect - music should show available music. I wish they would give an option for local off of that menu item.

The Apple TV won't show in the sidebar as a device - but it should show up as another Airplay option.

Specs:
    iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
    Thank you, Ivan. That's the best answer received in two weeks of inquiries including Apple Care.
    I guess I'll have to accept this most un-Apple-like condition.
    Bill

Thread Information