New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV "Doesn't Work"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tomy_11

Tomy_11 is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody. I'm new at this forum, and i've already read all the Apple TV topics.

My problem is that when i connect the ATV to the Internet WiFi Network, it works fine. But, for example, i go to bed, and then i wake up after, i dont know, like 7 hours later, and the AirPlay icon doesn't appear on the iPad 3rd Gen. I tried with an iTouch too, but is the same problem. And neither in the Remote App. I have it with the last Software update.

What it could be? Maybe the Variable IP ?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

The equipment may be disabling the app when it goes to sleep perhaps?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Do you have CEC,PBC or ARC enabled as all these are two communication in HDMI and they do control what is connected.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

As Pendlewitch aludes to the AppleTV has sleep settings. If the AppleTV goes to sleep then it won't appear on the network and you won't be able to send anything to it via AirPlay.

Have a look in Seittings - General on the AppleTV and change the 'sleep after....' setting to never. and try again

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
The equipment may be disabling the app when it goes to sleep perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
As Pendlewitch aludes to the AppleTV has sleep settings. If the AppleTV goes to sleep then it won't appear on the network and you won't be able to send anything to it via AirPlay.

Have a look in Seittings - General on the AppleTV and change the 'sleep after....' setting to never. and try again

Yes, i have already set the sleeping mode to "never" before creating this post, so the white light is always on, and there are some wallpapers in the screen. But the problem remains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Do you have CEC,PBC or ARC enabled as all these are two communication in HDMI and they do control what is connected.
What are those CEC, PBC and ARC? I dont know anything about them. Maybe that's the problem... Thank you...
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

It's maybe then a network connectivity issue. Try rebooting both the iPad and the Router and also updating the latter's firmware.

I think osxx is referring to settings on your TV and related AV equipment.

The audio return channel setting basically enables you to send audio from your TV to an AV Receiver over HDMI without a separate cable. We don't know how you are connected, for instance my ATV is just plugged into my AV receiver via HDMI.

Consumer electronic control tends to be manufacturer specific whereby one OEM remote effectively controls all that manufacturer's devices (up to ten in a set-up) through HDMI (on my Samsung TV it's called Anynet + and I have it turned off)

Playback control I'm not really familiar with, but it I think it is a way of controlling playback of a video compact disc through an interactive menu which I would imagine is probably steam-powered technology now. I would in any case do as osxx suggests and disable these settings on your TV and other equipment and see what happens as a separate test aside from doing the reboots.

Edit I don't have an iPad but do these have sleep settings which may disconnect from a network?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Thank you Pendlewitch. My A-TV is plugged via HDMI to my Sony EX525 Led TV. (To one of the 4 HDMI ports in the back). The sound and the video is great, i mean excellent. But the problem is that when i try to connect it via AirPlay, it doesn't work. There is the problem. I think is the Dynamic IP. Because in the iPad sometimes it says that the IP is 111.11.11.06 (example) and in the Apple TV it says 111.11.11.04

But i cant set the Non Dynamic IP, because of the Network service...

Any idea?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

A DHCP assigned dynamic IP shouldn't be causing an issue. However you may be able allocate a fixed IP from your router. What make and model is it?

Out of interest does the AppleTV lose its network connection? Or do you just lose the ability to send AirPlay requests to it?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy_11 View Post

I have it with the last Software update.

Also, please could you confirm which version of ATV and which version of software that you have ?

QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Quote:
A DHCP assigned dynamic IP shouldn't be causing an issue. However you may be able allocate a fixed IP from your router. What make and model is it?
Nisuta NS-WIR150 NE

Quote:

Out of interest does the AppleTV lose its network connection? Or do you just lose the ability to send AirPlay requests to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Also, please could you confirm which version of ATV and which version of software that you have ?

Apple TV 3rd. Generation
Model MD199LL/A
Software 5.0.2 (4250)

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Ok Thank you.
Your ATV appears up to date. mrplow asks if your ATV is actually losing it's connection ?

Here is a link to the manual http://www.nisuta.com/pdf/NSWIR150NE.pdf

Do a firmware update as described in 12.5 and reboot

QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Reboot means to "Restart" it? Sorry, i'm from Argentina. Here, we speak spanish... I forgot mrplow´s question. No. Actually is not losing connection. Every time i use it with the remote control, it works perfectley. But the AirPlay function is the one that crash. I just lose the ability to send AirPlay requests to it.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Reboot means to "Restart" it? Sorry, i'm from Argentina. Here, we speak spanish... I forgot mrplow´s question. No. Actually is not losing connection. Every time i use it with the remote control, it works perfectley. But the AirPlay function is the one that crash. I just lose the ability to send AirPlay requests to it.

Thank you.
Yes Tomy_11 Reboot is Restart and no apology is needed, I am from England and your English is excellent and better than some people born here

It's as well that you make sure that everything is up to date in order to eliminate potential causes.
If it's the Airplay function then mrplow is onto something I think.

QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Sure! Let's wait to MrPlow´s idea. But why MrPlow? Is He like an eminence here? Sorry if eminence is not the correct word... Thank you"
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Sure! Let's wait to MrPlow´s idea. But why MrPlow? Is He like an eminence here? Sorry if eminence is not the correct word... Thank you"
LMAO

Eminence .... Hmmm....... No not me. I just spend a lot of time messing with networks an Apple TVs. Oh and Pendlewith is very gracious

Did the router firmware update go ok?

Is you wifi channel set to something specific or auto? Either way try changing it to something a few channels away from where it is now.

What version of iOS is on your iPad and iPod touch?

Also, assuming you have a Mac or PC can your 'see' the AppleTV as an airplay device in iTunes? Before and after you lose connect from your other devices

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleTV + Eye TV + Mac Mini + 2 HDTVs | Can I .. With Apple TV »