New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV "Doesn't Work"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tomy_11

Tomy_11 is on a distinguished road

Router firmware update, ok.

I dont know what is a wifi channel... Maybe the ports that are on the back of the router? So i dont know what to change from where is now.

iOS 5.1.1

Mac and PC. And No, i when i lose the airplay function on the ipod or the ipad, i lose it on the mac and in the pc too. No Airplay options on them.

Thank you...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The wifi channel is what your router broadcasts on. Like a radio frequency. It's configured by logging into the router it'll be with the other wifi settings as per the manual PW linked to.

Change it and see how it goes.

If you still have no luck can you temporarily connect your router to your ATV with a cable?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Guys, i have tested the Apple TV with the Ethernet Cable, and it works perfectly. The problem is with the WiFi. Any configuration?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy_11 View Post
But why MrPlow? Is He like an eminence here? Sorry if eminence is not the correct word... Thank you"
Sorry but this made me LOL . . . . . No he isnt but does know his stuff when it comes to the ATV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy_11 View Post
Guys, i have tested the Apple TV with the Ethernet Cable, and it works perfectly. The problem is with the WiFi. Any configuration?
A silly question as i didnt see it posted anywhere, BUT do you have Airplay enabled on the ATV ??
As with Wi-Fi do you have another Router to try ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Yes, of course. When i press the connect to a wifi network and i put the password, it connects right. But after an hour, or a few hours, i have to connect it again to use the AirPlay function. But i have internet at every time. If i can, i'll do a video. Hope you understand
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

It's got to be something to do with your router.

1. Allocate a fixed IP to the AppleTV. See page 41 of the router manual. You'll need the MAC address of the AppleTV with you can get from the ATV network settings.
2. Make sure you're using WPA or WPA2 in your wireless security settings. Page 26 onwards
3. Change the channel your wireless is broadcasting on. Ideally use a tool like iStumbler on your Mac to find the least crowded channel. If not pick 11 and try that. Then pick 6 and try that. Then pick 3 and try that. Use the one that works best.
4. Try both channel bandwidths 20 or 20/40

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Tomy_11

Mates, a bit late, sorry. But i've fixed it!. I solved it with the new options to configure a manual IP, DNS and that. Thank you soo much for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back

QUOTE Thanks
SurReality89

SurReality89 is on a distinguished road

yea this isn't normal for me. i just got one of these and i leave the sleep setting on, only because i don't know how to actually turn it off without unplugging it or manually putting it to sleep. and even when its asleep airplay shows up, actually i usually turn it on through my ipod.

so my guess is that maybe its not staying connected to your wifi for what ever reason, it would be easy to check this out just by trying to use an application that requires internet or checking your network connections.

also does anyone know if its possible to browse the web through apple tv? or maybe get a pandora ap or any other aps for for that matter? i mean its no big deal doing everything through my ipod/laptop but it just seems like the tv should be able to do somethings on its own like it does with netflix.

edit: oops nevermind i didn't notice there was a second page here lol, glad you figured out the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleTV + Eye TV + Mac Mini + 2 HDTVs | Can I .. With Apple TV »