New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV Streaming MV4 Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Johnny8718

Johnny8718 is on a distinguished road

Hi All.

I am sure that this has been asked before but I do not know where to start.

I have an iMac and am looking to stream MV4 files (ripped HandBrake DVD's) to Apple TV (which I have not bought yet).

Is this possible? I know absolutely nothing about Apple TV and my reason for being interested is that I want to store my entire DVD collection on my hard drive and use that as my library, choosing films to watch on my TV at the click of the mouse.

In very simple terms (as I am by no means computer literate), can this be done and if so, how?

Thanks in anticipation, John.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Just drag those m4v files into iTunes and the AppleTV can connect to your iMac/iTunes via Home Sharing and stream all your iTunes content (Music/video etc)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Johnny8718

Johnny8718 is on a distinguished road

Hi.

Thanks very much for that - you have put my mind at rest in the knowledge that I am not wasting my time!

The link to home sharing mentions TV2. Is this the best AppleTV to go for, or does that not really matter?

Your advice on the best ATV to buy would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again, John.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

ATV 2 or 3 will do the job but I'd suggest getting the latest version, all that info on that page is relevant to the ATV3 and 2.

Just for info the third gen AppleTV has a fater processor and supports video up to 1080p, whereas the second gen only supports up to 720p.

If budget allows I'd suggest getting the latest version. A bargain at $99

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I am doing this exact thing with a MacMini running iTunes. Once you have Home Sharing set up and configured, all your apple devices will be able to easily connect. Heck, I sit on my deck with my iPad and stream movies and tv shows from iTunes on the Mini. Flawlessly, I might add.

I have an Apple TV 2 and it works great, and will be getting an Apple TV 3 once I get paid again. The Apple TV 2 is on my 720 HDTV, the new one will go on my 1080 HDTV.

And yes, it is nice not to have to put a DVD in every time I want to watch something.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« nitotv wiped my atv2 no plea | iTunes can see ATV's but not the other way around »