New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

app to control apple tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

berrill

berrill is on a distinguished road

I wish to get rid of my apple remote control and use my iPhone to control my apple TV. I have downloaded the remote app, however I can't find a way to use this remote to control the playing of movies on the Apple TV.

The app allows me to control what happens on the iMac but not the TV.

I wish to control the apple TV even with the iMac is off.

I have the last generation HDD type Apple TV, this be the reason.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

You need to pair it with the Apple TV and unpair it with the iMac (unless it is shut off when using the Apple TV). It will do everything the original remote did plus having a keyboard and being able to use gestures. You might have to "add library" or something. I cannot check as mine is not in front of me...
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Question. do you have airplay enabled on the AppleTV? Does the old version of the Apple TV support Airplay? I use the Remote App on my iPhone to control iTunes on my Mini and my Apple TV2. Works great, but you do have to enable Airplay on everything.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

You need to activate Home Sharing on your AppleTV and then enter the same username (Apple ID) and password for the Remote app on your iPhone. Once that's done you'll see the ATV in the Remote app and can select it.

QUOTE Thanks
berrill

I can't seem to find home Sharing on the AppleTV. I have looked in Settings - Computers - Add shared iTunes Library. This then gives me a code to lock on to the iMac. I cannot see the ATV in the Remote app. Am I looking in the wrong place in the ATV menu?

Please advise
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

No worries - I just looked around. This should help:

Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd generation)

...unfortunately this shows how to do it in the older OS version on the ATV. The new system looks quite a bit different. Is there an all/tile in the new ATV menu that says "Computers" or something like that? If you'd try to access this, the ATV should ask you to enable Home Sharing first.

QUOTE Thanks
berrill

I think it may be time to purchase the new ATV damm!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« should i buy apple tv if i have logitech revue with google tv and a ps3?? | Twitter Feed on my TV wirelessly via Apple TV? »