New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Atv2 doa?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjtiii44

jjtiii44 is on a distinguished road

Morning everyone,

I just purchased an Apple TV 2 from Gainsaver. Finally got it yesterday, plugged it in, and woosh, black screen. Now I've learned a lot since yesterday at 3 pm, including different HDMI and USB cables, resetting and DFU mode, etc. One common thing that I have noticed throughout is that the ATV2 will always boot in a recovery mode. Whenever it is in iTunes I only see the summary page and an option to restore. In TinyUmbrella I force it out of recovery and it just goes right back in under a different recovery device number. Have also tried Recboot to no avail. Furthermore, I have restored the ATV 2 at least 10 times. Does anyone else have any advice.

Other info: I have seen the "Plug into iTunes" icon at some points, and then I have also seen the Apple Logo for around 5-10 secs, but then black on my screen. My TV is an Emerson LC320EM1 720P HDTV.

Thank you everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Honestly I think you're best just getting it replaced.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jjtiii44

Of course that's a possibility, but I don't want to have to wait two weeks to get it back . Was hoping someone around these parts knew of somethings to try.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

I humbly suggest that it could be an interconnect issue.

I eventually discovered that my HDMI cable wasn't seated correctly in the back of the ATV2 due to the plug moulding inhibiting. It was so simple, but I had tried every which way until I bought a new $15 dollar v1.3b cable and bingo..it worked.

Did you get a new cable or did you swap it out with an older one?

EDIT: my experience is here ATV2 with Denon AVR1910 ?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
jjtiii44

I actually bought a brand new cable, a 4ft Auvio cable.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtiii44 View Post
I actually bought a brand new cable, a 4ft Auvio cable.
Good, but it is it sat fully home in both sockets ? Manipulate the plugs from side to side when you are in the black screen.

EDIT Can you swap the TV out?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
jjtiii44

I see, I'll try that when I get home in an hour. You are referring to the back of the ATV2 right?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
I see, I'll try that when I get home in an hour. You are referring to the back of the ATV2 right?
Yes, this was the problem for me but also check the connection into the TV.

QUOTE Thanks
jjtiii44

http://i.imgur.com/svcAV.png

Just wanted to have this on the post, here is a picture of my iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
jjtiii44

No luck on fiddling around with the HDMI ports.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
No luck on fiddling around with the HDMI ports.
Ok, worth a try. I thinks it's worth swapping out the TV or hooking it up to a friend's TV if you can. It could be duff as mrplow says in any event.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airplay won't work through one of my Wi-Fi Networks | Apple TV connected to Zeplin Speakers »