New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV to be updated?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gordoon

gordoon is on a distinguished road

Apple TVs are disappearing from shelves, could see an update next month as well | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

gordoon

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Meh, if they were disappearing from Apple stores I'd be more likely to believe it. I'm really waiting for the actual TV made by Apple, nit an updated ATV.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

I like my ATV2 (well at least since I got a correctly fitting HDMI lead to make it work). If Apple launch a new model it will be very disappointing. So many people jailbreak them that perhaps they realise that they are missing a trick.
I'm not sure what the proposed TV made by Apple is going to bring to my viewing experience, do you know what features it will have?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
I like my ATV2 (well at least since I got a correctly fitting HDMI lead to make it work). If Apple launch a new model it will be very disappointing. So many people jailbreak them that perhaps they realise that they are missing a trick.
I'm not sure what the proposed TV made by Apple is going to bring to my viewing experience, do you know what features it will have?

It's still kind of sketchy but it was the last thing Jobs was actually working on. Supposedly they are working with the content providers directly to allow you to subscribe to content on a channel by channel basis vice a "package deal" kind of thing that you normally get. It wouldn't be an ATV upodate, it would be a TV mad by Apple, but weather it would replace the current ATV or not is open for debate.

We'll see what happens.

If the ATV 2 is just being updated I'd like to seem them enable iTunes to play/stream different video/audio formats and not just M4P/ACC and M4V etc.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
It's still kind of sketchy but it was the last thing Jobs was actually working on. Supposedly they are working with the content providers directly to allow you to subscribe to content on a channel by channel basis vice a "package deal" kind of thing that you normally get. It wouldn't be an ATV upodate, it would be a TV mad by Apple, but weather it would replace the current ATV or not is open for debate.

We'll see what happens.

If the ATV 2 is just being updated I'd like to seem them enable iTunes to play/stream different video/audio formats and not just M4P/ACC and M4V etc.
If it will let me subscribe to Foodnetwork, HGTV and CNN I'll buy one!

Those three channels represent 99% of my TV viewing. Oh, and they will either need to build in a DVR or make all the programming available on demand.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Just my opinion, but they can't possibly put out a new "real" Apple TV until sometime in 2013 if they are just now testing the sets. Besides, I don't think there are going to be enough users updating their TVs on a frequent basis to warrant a physical TV and the enormous price they will surely have to charge. There's just not the built in obsolescence you need or a market for used TVs.

If you're talking about ATV3 boxes, they sold 1.4 million ATV boxes in the Dec. quarter alone. This is a box with a chip that is basically 2 generations behind and only capable of 720(when their rivals have 1080p), yet people are still buying them. If they added apps, 1080p and an A6 chip, I think these things would fly off the shelves. I personally will buy two and keep updating them.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
If you're talking about ATV3 boxes, they sold 1.4 million ATV boxes in the Dec. quarter alone. This is a box with a chip that is basically 2 generations behind and only capable of 720(when their rivals have 1080p), yet people are still buying them. If they added apps, 1080p and an A6 chip, I think these things would fly off the shelves. I personally will buy two and keep updating them.
Agreed, although I'm not overly concerned about the A6 chip. 1080P sounds nice but I'm really not sure it will make that big of a difference in my ATV viewing experience (IMO). 720 looks fine to me even when I'm ripping DVDs at high quality, I guess it might be nice for streaming HD, but that's not something I do a lot of. Apps would be nice but then it needs an input device that would allow you to use the apps in a meaningful way (the ATV remote just isn't going to cut it). Would be a cool use for an iPhone, iPod or iPad though!

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Well there is certainly food for thought here.

An ATV3 would be nice with the features you discuss. It's such an easy and cost effective way of spreading audio/video/web content around the home. Personally I think Apple have underpriced it compared with the rest of their product stack and that this and similar boxes will become the preferred method for most people, whilst an Apple TV will be an exclusive product with a luxurious price to match.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

I will be disappointed if they bring out another 'new' dock instead of updated firmware....whilst i acknowledge it is reasonably cheap compared to other Apple products, it is still circa 100 quid....

of course you are not obliged to upgrade, but suspect Apple will 'bank' on us doing it for the sake of owning the most up to date product...
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Give me local storage and the ability to attach external drives, and I'm all over the Apple TV. until then, no.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
Give me local storage and the ability to attach external drives, and I'm all over the Apple TV. until then, no.
Jailbreak the AppleTV - install XBMC - NAS drive - all content available to everyone in the house.

Fantastic little box.

I can AppleTV3 being launched at the same time as the iPad3 and maybe 1080 content on iTunes.

Makes sense for the ATV to support higher resolutions too given the Mac based airplay function in Mountain Lion.

I am, however, very skeptical that Apple would release a full blown TV. I can't see where the profit is? Maybe a deal with TV manufacturers to build in AppleTV functionality rather than them having to build bespoke 'smart TV' solutions?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Jailbreak the AppleTV - install XBMC - NAS drive - all content available to everyone in the house.
Not a massive fan of jailbreaking/XBMC. Also, I have appalling Wifi coverage (drops out consistently.) The router is too far away for a physical connection, so a NAS drive is of no use to me.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
Not a massive fan of jailbreaking/XBMC. Also, I have appalling Wifi coverage (drops out consistently.) The router is too far away for a physical connection, so a NAS drive is of no use to me.
Then take a look at a Roku box. Apple are never going to allow external drives, same as NAS drives. Dilutes the revenue stream away from iTunes.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

isn't the Time Capsule an external drive?

just 'do' what the majority of people do with their DVD's (can't talk about it of course for fear of being dissolved) and pop through iTunes, onto TC and away you go...
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Pretty much the most used piece of equipment I have at home is the SkyHD box and I think it is towards this end that Apple will drive the product.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV does not show movies using the whole screen | Hulu coming to Apple TV 2? »