Thread: Basic setup

Basic setup

Basic setup
    My cable box has one HDMI out connected to TV. What do I need in a receiver to ensure sound from surround sound system with ATV ? How do I make the connections ? Do I need HDMI in and out on the receiver ? Thanks in advance

Basic setup

To get sound from apple tv to amp you can use optical cable or hdmi

Basic setup

Thanks. I will be more specific. HDMI from cable box to TV . Optical cable from cable box to receiver. ATV works when the aforementioned optical cable is hooked directly to it. Have tried cable splitter with no luck. One HDMI port on receiver. Hooking ATV to this is ineffective. Do I need a receiver with multiple HDMI input/outputs ? Thanks

Basic setup
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    Do you have any other connections on your cable box and receiver?

Perhaps a digital coax out on the cable box and in on the reciver? That'd free up the optical cable for the ATV.

An optical splitter/combiner will work. I.e. optical from cable into adapter. Optical from ATV2 into adapter. Single output from adapter into reciver input.
    You just have to make sure that the adapter isn't JUST a splitter but that it works as a combiner too. and that when the ATV is on, the cable box is off, and vice versa
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Basic setup
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    If you're considering a receiver change a full HDMI (multiple inputs) receiver and or one that can take at least two optical and maybe one digital coax is worth the investment.

I'm suprised your current receiver has only one HDMI. Is it an input or an output?
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Basic setup

Thank you both. It is merely a splitter. Good advice on combiner. Any idea where to purchase ? Coax may work also. Thanks, great ideas. Out of town and cannot attempt until Thursday. Will post outcome. Receiver is cheapo part of surround system Sony gave with the TV. One HDMI output. Thanks again

Basic setup

success
    Optical splitter/selector solved the problem. Thank you for the help

Basic setup

Specs:
    iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,12GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yose 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by marlart View Post
    Thanks. I will be more specific. HDMI from cable box to TV . Optical cable from cable box to receiver. ATV works when the aforementioned optical cable is hooked directly to it. Have tried cable splitter with no luck. One HDMI port on receiver. Hooking ATV to this is ineffective. Do I need a receiver with multiple HDMI input/outputs ? Thanks
    HI,
    I can see that you've solved the problem but just thought I'd let you know how mine is set up.

My Denon AVR1910 has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output to the TV.
    Everything passes through the receiver SkyHD,Blu-Ray and the ATV2 which is hooked up by HDMI only to one of the inputs.

When streaming digital movies over ATV2 the receiver outputs DD 5.1.

The only oddball is Sky, who broadcast in DD but don't send it over HDMI so that is dealt with by Optical into the receiver.

I concur with mrplow's advice on input/outputs if you are considering upgrading at some point..the more the merrier.
    iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
    iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
    MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.

Thread Information