New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Jailbraking apple tv 2 4.3.3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Applenoob81

Applenoob81 is on a distinguished road

I have jailbroken my apple tv 2, 4.3.3. I done it with SeasOnPass.

How do I now go about getting XBMC?

Doesnt seem possible. I cant see the terminal everybody keeps talking about.

All forums etc mention the terminal, then but mention it was done via green poison. GreenPoison I am not sure if they have a jailbrake for 4.3.3

Dazed and Confused.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You should be able to connect thought Terminal if you have a Mac and follow the ntructions on the XBMC site.

At least you've JB'd yours. I can't get iTunes to restore using the seas0npass custom firmware.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Applenoob81
Connect the AppleTV to your router by cable and connec to your TV.
Look in General - Network and see which IP address has been allocatted to the AppleTV. Make a note of this then turn off your TV.
Open the Terminal app on your Mac.
Follow Steps 1 to 4 (under the 'Installing from Cydia' heading) from these instructions:
HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 - XBMC

Fleurya
Make sure that:
iTunes is up-to-date
you have no other USB devices connected
also, if Seas0nPass script isn't working then copy the custom firmware to another location (desktop?) and try the restore manually

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
skribble

skribble is on a distinguished road

Just in case you arn't doing this on a mac you can use a program called putty on PC to access the same thing terminal will let you access. It's available here:
PuTTY - Download
QUOTE Thanks
normanfekrat

normanfekrat is on a distinguished road

Guys - Here is how I jail broke my ATV and loaded XMBC and BoxeeTV:

Here is what i did:

1) Create USB drive patch stick:
create apple patch stick usb drive for appletv hack and install software on appletv.
all the directions are on this site: atvusb-creator - USB flash drive creator for the AppleTV - Google Project Hosting

basic steps are
- unplug power from appletv
- insert usb drive in the back
- plug in power and appletv will boot from the usb drive
- when done, unplug power, remove usb drive, and plug back in power
- you will see the software menu added to the appletv menu

2) terminal mode connect to appletv:
open terminal software on our mac and log into your appletv via wireless
ssh frontrow@appletv.local
or
ssh frontrow@10.0.1.2

3) install the launcher software on the appletv
run the following scripts to install the launcher software
wget http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.....2.2-debug.run

chmod +x Launcher-3.2.2-debug.run

./Launcher-3.2.2-debug.run

4) Upgrade software:
go to the launcher : downloads menu option and download all the most recent software:
- launcher
- boxee
- xmbc

5) Software Capabilities:
Now you should be able to run boxee and xmbc apps without a pc attached.
Boxee - aggregate all music, video, pictures (apple and non-itunes content). Also, a huge selection of apps like pandora.
XMBC -

6) Relevant sites:
atvusb-creator - USB flash drive creator for the AppleTV - Google Project Hosting
Boxee - Watch Movies, TV Shows and clips from the Internet on your TV.
boxee :: forums (great place for q&a - this is where i figured out how to get this to work - but i should post what i wrote above since it is no where to be found in one place)
XBMC
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV_Take_2

7) iTunes app Add-ons:
iphone app for boxee tv remote
iphone app for apple remove (mac and appletv)

You will love this.... i just like to figure this stuff out and get it working and then i move on to what is the next thing to figure out ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

normanfekrat

Good, comprehensive info.

But just for clarity if people find and refer to this thread in the future:
Your post relates to the 1st Gen Apple TV (white/grey).
The info from the other posts is for the 2nd Gen AppleTV (small black box)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need help with appleTV and devon hook up with whole house audio | Apple TV can't find my mac! »