New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV volume question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benfraser

benfraser is on a distinguished road

My first post

I am looking into purchasing Apple TV and understand it has no output volume control. My question is the following: Is it possible to change the volume by adjusting the volume bar in iTunes using the remote control?

I appreciate any help in clarifying this matter!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The Apple TV has a line out volume the same as a DVD player for example. Volume control will be via the device providing the sound - your TV, surround sound system, etc.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
benfraser

The issue is that I'm looking to plug Apple TV straight into my active speakers - and though I can control the input volume on them, they have no remote control.

I want to establish whether I can change the volume by the Apple TV remote control or not.

I can't plug Apple TV into my TV as it (stupidly) has no audio output.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
I can't plug Apple TV into my TV as it (stupidly) has no audio output.
Apple TV is designed to connect to a TV - via HDMI (this carrys audio and video) and also has optical out for connecting to an amp.

The audio in both cases is line out as previously posted. It's for the receiving devices to control the amplification/volume.

If both devices had volume controls you'd be forever balancing the Apple TV and receiving devices volumes depending on the audio level of the source material.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
benfraser

Thanks for the response

I understand why Apple TV has no output volume, but I would still like to know if there is a way to control the playback volume of music using the remote control.

I have found the below on Wikipedia, amongst other sources: "Apple TV can be controlled by virtually any infrared remote control or paired with the included Apple Remote to prevent interference from other remotes. Either kind of remote can control playback volume, but for music only."

Is this true or not?
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

Well i have just carried out the basic of basic checks, which is switch on Apple TV and for music and movie, you cannot control the sound from the apple TV remove provided.

had to use the TV remote.

J
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking of picking up Apple TV | Is apple TV Available in Singapore? »