AppleTV 1stGen HDMI Issues

I just ran into a problem that has me stumped a bit and need some help. I recently moved back sateside and tried hooking my AppleTV to my smaller TV, but to no avail I could not get it to bring up the picture. I have an optical cable going from the device to my DVD player for sound, which works fine. I then tried hooking the device up to my other TV and had no problems. I have tried different HDMI cables, I have tried without the optical cable, but it still wont work. if anyone out there has any clue as to why this might be happening, please let me know. Thanks!

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    The TV you are trying to hook up does it have more than one HDMI port if so did you try the other/s also does any other device work with HDMI on said TV ?

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by rggourley View Post
    I just ran into a problem that has me stumped a bit and need some help. I recently moved back sateside and tried hooking my AppleTV to my smaller TV, but to no avail I could not get it to bring up the picture. I have an optical cable going from the device to my DVD player for sound, which works fine. I then tried hooking the device up to my other TV and had no problems. I have tried different HDMI cables, I have tried without the optical cable, but it still wont work. if anyone out there has any clue as to why this might be happening, please let me know. Thanks!
    There is an issue with older TVs (read 2 to 3 years or more) and the HDMI output from the current crop of ATVs. If it works on other TVs it's not the ATV, it's the TV itself.

Thread Information