New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Can I do this with Apple TV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

My college's baseball team streams their games online if you subscribe to our school's CBS Sports site. I can watch them on my iMac, but not on iPad. Is there any way that with Apple TV I can mirror what's streaming to the iMac on my TV?

I really don't think there is, but I just thought I would ask. I know you can stream stuff like YouTube, but unfortunately there is no app for the CBS site.

TIA

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

IDK if you can do that, i have a different mac, and do not own an appleTV. I do have a work around for you though.

You should refer to this, it helped me a lot.

Basically, buy a cheap adapter, plug it into the iMac Mini Displayport (MDP), on the other end of the adapter there is a female HDMI end. HDMI in there, to the HDTV

Connecting your Mac to your TV

I bought the adapter found in post #4 from monoprice.com

However; Your iMac will not send audio from the MDP as mine does. The only thing that will go across the cable to the TV is video.

I came to this conclusion via..
iMac "Core i3" 3.06 21.5-Inch (Mid-2010) Specs (Mid-2010, MC508LL/A, iMac11,2, A1311, 2389) @ EveryMac.com
then click USB ports and then all ports
iMac Ports & Connectors (Mid-2010, iMac11,3, A1312, 2390) @ EveryMac.com
That is mine, it has audio

Yours is
iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2009) Specs (Early 2009, MB420LL/A, iMac9,1, A1225, 2267) @ EveryMac.com
same clicks... usb, all ports...
iMac Ports & Connectors (Early 2009, iMac9,1, A1225, 2267) @ EveryMac.com
Sadly, no audio.

This means your iMac will play the audio, while the video is on the tv (i think, this is different than my set-up.. so I can't be 100%). You may have speakers from your iMac that will split the difference, or you could buy a chord that goes from audio out on your iMac and put that in the audio in on your HDTV. But, i have no knowledge of that, would be simple I imagine.

good luck

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
class77

Yea, that's kind of what I thought on the direct from my mac to the TV. Was really hoping I could mirror what was happening on the iMac to the Apple TV to the Sony TV.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
My college's baseball team streams their games online if you subscribe to our school's CBS Sports site. I can watch them on my iMac, but not on iPad. Is there any way that with Apple TV I can mirror what's streaming to the iMac on my TV?

I really don't think there is, but I just thought I would ask. I know you can stream stuff like YouTube, but unfortunately there is no app for the CBS site.
Ahhhh… there is an app for CBS Sports. Does this not offer your school's games?
CBS Sports Mobile for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Otherwise, no, there is no way to play video from a web browser to the Apple TV. Unless perhaps if you jailbreak it. If you jailbreak it and add a web browser on it, then perhaps it will play the videos if they are not Flash.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

Thanks Beach, but that app is a generic sports app if you will. It gives you sports scores, not a university specific app for your school. CBS Sports.com college network is the one I need and unfortunately it doesn't exist, but I keep hoping that they will come up with an iPad app since they now have over 175 universities signed up with them.

CBS Sports College Network - Corporate Partnership Information

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

With all the devices out there today, you'd think someone would have come out with a device to allow you to mirror your computer to the TV. But, nope. Want to do that, you still need a computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

Thanks Bob. You are the man on this kind of stuff

Bob, let me ask you one question. If I got a mini to do this and hooked it directly from the HDMI output to the HDMI input on the TV, how much impact would the graphics card have on it? I would lean toward the better graphics card & memory for $200, but would that really useful in a media center type application?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble viewing photos | Some movies will not play on Apple TV but OK on iMac »