Thread: Apple TV issues

Apple TV issues
    Hi. I know this has been posted elsewhere but there doesn't seem to be any answers anywhere.

I have Apple TV. Not sure which generation but it's about 2 years old and is the version before the new black mini type Apple TV.

I have it linked to my TV via a good quality HDMI cable (I have tried more than 1) but whenever I play a converted video the quality is fine but the brightness is extremely dark. This is different if you play the same video through my Macbook Pro - the brightness seems perfect.
    I have a Macbook Aluminium and a Macbook Pro in the household and it makes no difference if you play converted videos from either laptop.

I use iSquint and/or Visualhub for conversions.

If I download videos from iTunes or straight through Apple TV, however, the brightness quality seems fine.

Is this a problem with my converter or a Macbook issue or an Apple TV issue?

It's a very frustrating problem but surely someone has an answer? Please? Pretty please???

If the videos that are downloaded via iTunes look right, then the videos that you have converted yourself almost certainly are faulty for some reason. They may look "right" on your MacBooks because you have adjusted the brightness settings on those devices to compensate. If you have applied a Patchstick to your ATV and are using alternate software, then perhaps that software has some settings that are awry.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    iSquint and V-Hub had some issues with that. Try Handbrake, Use the ATV 1 preset.

Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    iSquint and V-Hub had some issues with that. Try Handbrake, Use the ATV 1 preset.
    It's definitely not the actual videos I'm using because not are the movies downloaded they are videos that are actually on my Macbook Pro.

Sorry, you're speaking the the uninitiated!

ATV 1 preset?

I just have a menu for; Apple, Regular, Legacy

Under Apple I have Universal, iPod, iPod/iPhone touch, Apple TV
    Under Regular I have Normal, High Profile
    Under Legacy I have Classic, Apple TV Legacy, iPhone Legacy, iPod Legacy.

I suppose I use either Apple TV or Regular High Profile?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duncanbell3 View Post
    I just have a menu for; Apple, Regular, Legacy

Under Apple I have Universal, iPod, iPod/iPhone touch, Apple TV
    Under Regular I have Normal, High Profile
    Under Legacy I have Classic, Apple TV Legacy, iPhone Legacy, iPod Legacy.
    Since you have the first-gen ATV, you'll need to use the Apple TV Legacy settings. There are a few differences between that and the current ATV presets due to the ATV2 being a bit more capable in what it can handle.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information