New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

duncanbell3

duncanbell3 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I know this has been posted elsewhere but there doesn't seem to be any answers anywhere.

I have Apple TV. Not sure which generation but it's about 2 years old and is the version before the new black mini type Apple TV.

I have it linked to my TV via a good quality HDMI cable (I have tried more than 1) but whenever I play a converted video the quality is fine but the brightness is extremely dark. This is different if you play the same video through my Macbook Pro - the brightness seems perfect.
I have a Macbook Aluminium and a Macbook Pro in the household and it makes no difference if you play converted videos from either laptop.

I use iSquint and/or Visualhub for conversions.

If I download videos from iTunes or straight through Apple TV, however, the brightness quality seems fine.

Is this a problem with my converter or a Macbook issue or an Apple TV issue?

It's a very frustrating problem but surely someone has an answer? Please? Pretty please???
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If the videos that are downloaded via iTunes look right, then the videos that you have converted yourself almost certainly are faulty for some reason. They may look "right" on your MacBooks because you have adjusted the brightness settings on those devices to compensate. If you have applied a Patchstick to your ATV and are using alternate software, then perhaps that software has some settings that are awry.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

iSquint and V-Hub had some issues with that. Try Handbrake, Use the ATV 1 preset.

QUOTE Thanks
duncanbell3

duncanbell3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
iSquint and V-Hub had some issues with that. Try Handbrake, Use the ATV 1 preset.
It's definitely not the actual videos I'm using because not are the movies downloaded they are videos that are actually on my Macbook Pro.

Sorry, you're speaking the the uninitiated!

ATV 1 preset?

I just have a menu for; Apple, Regular, Legacy

Under Apple I have Universal, iPod, iPod/iPhone touch, Apple TV
Under Regular I have Normal, High Profile
Under Legacy I have Classic, Apple TV Legacy, iPhone Legacy, iPod Legacy.

I suppose I use either Apple TV or Regular High Profile?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanbell3 View Post
I just have a menu for; Apple, Regular, Legacy

Under Apple I have Universal, iPod, iPod/iPhone touch, Apple TV
Under Regular I have Normal, High Profile
Under Legacy I have Classic, Apple TV Legacy, iPhone Legacy, iPod Legacy.
Since you have the first-gen ATV, you'll need to use the Apple TV Legacy settings. There are a few differences between that and the current ATV presets due to the ATV2 being a bit more capable in what it can handle.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will there be an Apple 3 for Christmas? | Volume fluctuates during AirPlay »