New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Drive just a monitor?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zarathu

zarathu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge

OK... I've decided that I would like to put up a bunch of hanging wall screens around my house(or maybe four of them in one place) that are actually not photos but flat screen lcd monitors. Will an old 40 gig drive apple tv 1 drive these(one for each LCD) so that I can show my photography in this way?

"I've always wanted to own and control the primary technology in everything we do."
-- Steve Jobs, BusinessWeek Online, Oct. 12, 2004
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathu View Post
OK... I've decided that I would like to put up a bunch of hanging wall screens around my house(or maybe four of them in one place) that are actually not photos but flat screen lcd monitors. Will an old 40 gig drive apple tv 1 drive these(one for each LCD) so that I can show my photography in this way?
They certainly should, although bear in mind that the ATV only outputs to 720p. If you are showing off photography, and assuming it's high res stuff, and assuming you are using 1080p displays, I suspect you'd be doing your work a disservice unless the viewers are standing far back enough to the point that the extra detail of 1080p can not be discerned by the human eye.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

For HD content then the Iomega ScreenPlay is a better bet

Western Digital also do Hi DEf media players (Western Digital's WDTv)

These are a better bet than the Apple TV for your particular set-up

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
zarathu

So .... then I'm looking for a small media player that will obnly read a flash drive, no HD or cd/dvd necessary. Just need to read the flash drive and put up photos at full HD res.

Suggestions?

"I've always wanted to own and control the primary technology in everything we do."
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So .... then I'm looking for a small media player that will obnly read a flash drive, no HD or cd/dvd necessary. Just need to read the flash drive and put up photos at full HD res.

Suggestions?
The Boxee Box would likely work, as well as Google TV devices like the Logitech Revue. All these seem like overkill though for what you are looking to do. Have you thoroughly considered how you are going to hook these up and the general ramifications of managing all this (connectors needed, electrical supply for all these, managing all the cables if you want a tidy appearance)? Are you using LCD computer displays, or flat panel TV sets? Many TV sets today have USB ports in them and can do slide shows on their own, completely negating the need for a 3rd-party box. And of course your budget is a factor, and what devices you currently have on-hand to use for this project.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have you investigated whether some of the dedicated digital photo frames are of high enough resolution for you? I haven'yt looked at this in a while but they can come with some internal memory, usually have space for flash drives and can get to be quite large. Although the larger ones are a bit more expensive they might be the same as some of the other options mentioned.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Have you looked into some tablets? Archos makes a few for under 200$ that can output 720p.
For around $260 you could combine the whole thing into just hanging a few Archos 101 tablets. Additionally you can use them as home interaction tools with some work as they are touch screens, your clients could look through your gallery, etc. It has a full USB port.
Archos 101 internet tablet (8GB) 501590 B&H Photo Video
QUOTE Thanks
zarathu

I'm interested in displaying my landscape and portrait photography on the wall, not looking at snap shots of my vacation with friends.

I've discovered that there are some video players that only do flash drive or flash cards for very cheap, like $30 or less, and combined with a monitor of 22 to 24 inches, you can get a pretty good picture. Photos on the wall are designed to be looked at from 2- 3 feet away not in the detail at 2 inches.

Thanks for your input though.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I'm interested in displaying my landscape and portrait photography on the wall, not looking at snap shots of my vacation with friends.

I've discovered that there are some video players that only do flash drive or flash cards for very cheap, like $30 or less, and combined with a monitor of 22 to 24 inches, you can get a pretty good picture. Photos on the wall are designed to be looked at from 2- 3 feet away not in the detail at 2 inches.

Thanks for your input though.
What kind of budget do you have? You could get used iMacs and wall-mount them with VESA mounts.
VESA Mount Adapter Kit for 24-inch/27-inch iMac and 24-inch/27-inch LED Cinema Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

For what you want, I'd just get monitors with built-in USB ports supporting flash drives for displaying your pics - such as - link. Of course, do the research on them first to find out exactly what tasks they'll perform from a flash drive. Looking up the owner's manual online should fill you in on that aspect if there are no reviews out there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble controlling Apple TV using remote app on my iPod Touch | apple tv in south africa »