New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

XBMC question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

I recently got a mac and was using both Plex and xbmc on my dell, before. I like plex better, but there were pauses in movies and shows so I decided to try xbmc and didn't see any pauses or freezes. I installed plex on my mac and it was working great until last night so I decided to try xbmc. I went into the 'add source' section on xbmc on the ATV2, but couldn't find the shared folder that I have movies in on my mac. I did see the folder that was on my dell, but wasn't able to delete it. Is the version that I installed on my apple tv, a windows version? If so, do I need to delete it and install a mac version or is there only one version? How do I get xbmc to see the movie folder on my mac desktop, I already set it to be shared? Thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'm sorry your post is a little confusing you talk o fusing Plex and XBMC on Mac and PC then say you're having trouble with XBMC on ATV2.....

I'm going to assume that it's the ATV2 you need help with, so . . . .
XBMC on Mac or Windows isn't required for XBMC on ATV2 so you can forget about those for now.

On your Mac - System Preferences - Sharing - File Sharing should be ticked and the folder you are sharing should be listed under 'Shared Folders', users should show Everyone as Read Only.

Make sure your Mac and ATV2 are on the same network.
Make sure your ATV2 is connected to the network correctly, view a movie trailer or similar.
Try Home Sharing your iTunes library, can you stream from your iTunes library to ATV?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Sorry for the confusing post. I have the folder set up correctly and I am streaming movies with plex to my apple tv, however Plex seems to be a little buggyand when I am watching a movie, it freezes so I want to use XBMC. When I set up XBMC on my dell, I went to the add source section and was able to search my network for the shared folder. However, it seems that XBMC is not seeing my mac or the shared folder that I set up. Plex is so much easier to set up because all you have to do is drop the folder into the media manager section, but in my experience, plex doesn't stream movies as clear as xbmc and freezes a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Plex and XBMC work differently on ATV.

Plex on ATV requires the Plex server running on your PC or Mac.

XBMC is standalone.

The install on your ATV does not get 'fed' by the the XBMC install on your Mac/PC.

You don't need XBMC on your PC/Mac for XBMC to work on ATV.

In XBMC on the ATV you should be able to add your shared folders.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

I know and I was able to add the folder when I was using my Dell, but can't while using my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

When I go to the add source screen and browse for the folder I see: HDHomerun Devices, Home Folder, ReplayTV Devices, SAP Streams, UPnP devices, Video Playlists, Windows Network (SMB) and Zeroconf Browser, then on the bottom is Add Network Location. I would think that the network location one would be the one to choose, but then it gives me the same choices that I listed above to add. I am not sure why the Windows Network is still showing. Any idea how I point it to the folder on my mac?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The folder on your Mac is shared as an SMB share.

Go into Windows Network (SMB) - workgroup - then you should see your iMac and it's shared folders.

QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Wow, that worked. Thank you very, very much!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Glad you got sorted

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ATV2 + MacMini + D-Link DNS-323 NAS | Apple TV and My Book World »