New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Constant Apple TV Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BBrock293

BBrock293 is on a distinguished road

I have been having constant problems with my ATV since the start and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Basicly, when I start it up the internet based programs (Netflix, youtube, etc.) sometimes do not show up at all. When they do show up, the pictures/icons take several minutes to load. It then locks up completely for several minutes. If I am able to make it through this, Netflix rarely works. It either is buffering so long I cant wait, and turn it off or it says that there is 17 hours to load, etc. It also locks up several times during a movie. Same thing happens with you tube and I have yet to be able to successfully watch a PPV movie. I have reset it, restored it, turned it off an off about 100 times, and made sure none of my other devices are trying to use the internet. I should also add that I have 25mpbs internet through TDS Telecom. Help!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

ATV2 or ATV1?

Also, what kind of Router do you have? A,B,G,N,DB-N? I have found that, while my Router is N, and all my personal equipment (MBP, iPad, ATV2, DVD Player) are all N, my roommate's computer is G, which throttles my router and I am finding I have to reboot my ATV2 once or twice a day depending on when they have been on. Now, theoretically I could go get a DB-N (like the Airport Extreme) and not have that issue, however I don't feel like upgrading a 5 month old router at this time.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
BBrock293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
ATV2 or ATV1?

Also, what kind of Router do you have? A,B,G,N,DB-N? I have found that, while my Router is N, and all my personal equipment (MBP, iPad, ATV2, DVD Player) are all N, my roommate's computer is G, which throttles my router and I am finding I have to reboot my ATV2 once or twice a day depending on when they have been on. Now, theoretically I could go get a DB-N (like the Airport Extreme) and not have that issue, however I don't feel like upgrading a 5 month old router at this time.
ATV 2. Honestly, I don't know what kind of router I have.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router and the ATV2 is up to date.

As to the different speeds, when everything was N (in other words, no roommate) it worked like a charm and I never had issues. Now, I just have to sit and reboot the ATV2 which is no biggie, personally, because I know it isn't the ATV2 having the issue, it is my router and roommate causing it. Once I spend the money to upgrade, there should not be any issues after that.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
BBrock293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router and the ATV2 is up to date.

As to the different speeds, when everything was N (in other words, no roommate) it worked like a charm and I never had issues. Now, I just have to sit and reboot the ATV2 which is no biggie, personally, because I know it isn't the ATV2 having the issue, it is my router and roommate causing it. Once I spend the money to upgrade, there should not be any issues after that.
I know the ATV has the latest updates. Not sure on firmware, not sure what that is really. I am not too tech savy with this stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrock293 View Post
I know the ATV has the latest updates. Not sure on firmware, not sure what that is really. I am not too tech savy with this stuff.
If your ATV is up to date, then the problem in all likelihood is your router. It'd help to know what model it is to be certain. That information should be "somewhere" on it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
BBrock293

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If your ATV is up to date, then the problem in all likelihood is your router. It'd help to know what model it is to be certain. That information should be "somewhere" on it.
The router is an Actiontech MI424WR. I called my internet provider and they are going to send me a new one. I think they are sending a 724 (think that is what they said). Think that is the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrock293 View Post
The router is an Actiontech MI424WR. I called my internet provider and they are going to send me a new one. I think they are sending a 724 (think that is what they said). Think that is the problem?
Yes, the 424 appears to only run at the older 802.11g speeds. But so does the 724. There's a 784 model that will support the speeds that you need (802.11n).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lock Apple TV to specific wifi basestation | Apple TV vs Blu-Ray internet streaming »