New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Lock Apple TV to specific wifi basestation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flimbar

flimbar is on a distinguished road

I have an Apple TV 1 and on startup it keeps automatically connecting to someone's unprotected wifi basestation instead of my wifi basestation which has WPA2 and hidden SSID, so every time this idiot has their basestation switched on I have to manually disconnect from it and then retype my SSID and WPA2 password to connect to my basestation, sometimes I am lucky and they don't seem to have it switched on, in which case my ATV automatically connects to my basestation without having to re-enter anything.

Is there a way to tell my ATV to connect to my wifi basestation only and not to just randomly connect to the first unprotected basestation it can find?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Unhide your SSID and see if it helps. There's no reason to hide an SSID, it doesn't actually make it harder to hack you and just makes it more difficult for you to manage your network.

Myth vs. reality: Wireless SSIDs - Steve Riley on Security - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Debunking Myths: Is Hiding Your Wireless SSID Really More Secure? - How-To Geek

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
flimbar

flimbar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links, I'll give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XBMC now available for Apple TV 2 and other iOS devices | Constant Apple TV Problems »