New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Is Apple TV right for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheFaceFits

TheFaceFits is on a distinguished road

Hi

Up until yesterday each night I would plug my Macbook into an external harddrive (with 1 TB of itunes purchases) and into a TV and watch movies and TV shows.

Yesterday I bought an iMac, plan was to put the harddrive on that and stream the content to my Macbook which would semi-retire to under the TV and be used like an Apple TV permanently.

First problem was that Front Row didn't have cover art, annoying but not essential, second problem was Front-Row froze after a minute of playing anything.

It all works perfectly through itunes home sharing but not through Front row, therefore it's not a network issue, it's just Front Row.

As iTunes isn't really a solution, as the Macbook needs to be open I am thinking about Apple TV, so need to know:

1: Will this work, Apple TV seems to use Front Row, is there a difference to the version on my Macbook?

2: Will it have cover art?

3: What are the connection issues i have heard about and how likely are they? Our connection is pretty good, had itunes on Macbook and on Windows 7 laptop both streaming perfectly from the iMac at the same time so the network is solid.

4: Amazon have it for 88 (Apple store it's 101), is this the best price?

Many thanks

Anthony
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaceFits View Post
1: Will this work, Apple TV seems to use Front Row, is there a difference to the version on my Macbook?
Yes, there is a difference. It's general interface is more refined and has links to the iTune store and other media sources like YouTube, MLB.TV, and more.

Quote:
2: Will it have cover art?
Yes.

Quote:
3: What are the connection issues i have heard about and how likely are they? Our connection is pretty good, had itunes on Macbook and on Windows 7 laptop both streaming perfectly from the iMac at the same time so the network is solid.
There are no connection issues. Apple's streaming tech is, hands down, the best that there is. Of course you should be on 802.11n wi-fi.

Quote:
4: Amazon have it for 88 (Apple store it's 101), is this the best price?
Probably.

As a side note, you should review the other threads about the ATV2 to glean more info from others' experiences. I've had the ATV1 (patched to add XBMC and other enhancements), a Mac mini using Plex, and the ATV2. The ATV2 is, hands-down, the best experience.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
TheFaceFits

Thanks for the answers, I am certainly driven towards it, although still angry my orignal plan for the Macbook to do this won't work.

The connection issues I mentioned had come up on Amazon, in the reviews a lot of people were complaining about it just dropping out half way through a movie. Could be their connection though.

Thanks again

Anthony
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaceFits View Post
Thanks for the answers, I am certainly driven towards it, although still angry my orignal plan for the Macbook to do this won't work.

The connection issues I mentioned had come up on Amazon, in the reviews a lot of people were complaining about it just dropping out half way through a movie. Could be their connection though.

Thanks again
There may have been bugs in one version or another of the software. I personally have never experienced it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

There has been an issue with the ATV 2 and the HDMI connection to older HD TVs. If your TV is new(ish) you should be ok. Search this forum, there is a thread about this here.

That being said my year old Panasonic 58 inch Plasma and 3 year old Samsung 26 inch LCD have not experienced any issues. I am on a G/N network and streaming is fine.

QUOTE Thanks
TheFaceFits

The TV is fairly new (about 6 months) but it's not a big brand name (Hannspree).

Just tried a quick google and apparently Hannspree make an apple shaped tv:

http://thegadgetmedia.com/wp-content...766ZD_1822.jpg

Certainly makes googling for problems difficult!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ATV 1st Gen and Airplay | Marking as Watched »