New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Please help- driving me mad...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donkeyshed

donkeyshed is on a distinguished road

Just received an Apple TV (2nd gen) as a present. Setting up seemed pretty straightforwatd, except connecting iTunes (10) and the device. The Apple TV does not show up in iTunes. Having searched various forums, I keep being advised to check 'search for Apple TVs' in iTunes preferences. Problem is, no such box/command exists in iTunes preferences.
This is driving me bloody mad. Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Tommyg80

Tommyg80 is on a distinguished road

Have you turned on home sharing? In tunes it will be under "advanced". Once it is turned on you will need to do the same on the Apple TV.
QUOTE Thanks
donkeyshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg80 View Post
Have you turned on home sharing? In tunes it will be under "advanced". Once it is turned on you will need to do the same on the Apple TV.
Yes, home sharing has been turned on/off/on etc. Using same password for both. Have restarted both devices a number of times. Why can't these devices be simple?!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

This device is simple.
TV wont show up in devices unless you restore it. Because it hasnt got a HD as such to stream the movies from, there is no need for it to show in iTunes Devices.
I can get it to show if i hook it up via Micro USB but the only thing i can now do with it is restore it to factory setting via iTunes or to JB it.
May i ask why you want it to show in iTunes ??
If i want to "use" iTunes to stream a movie instead of using the ATV2 to stream it then you still can, by using the drop down

. . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyshed View Post
Yes, home sharing has been turned on/off/on etc. Using same password for both. Have restarted both devices a number of times. Why can't these devices be simple?!!
It's extreemely simply, you're just over thinking it. The ATV 2 will not show up in iTunes (unlike the ATV 1) so don't worry about it.

Once both your computer and the ATV 2 are logged into your iTines account go to the Apple TV and select "COMPUTERS" and select yours from the drop down menu. This will bring up and display your iTunes libary on the ATV 2. From there you simply choose what you want to play.

That's really about it.

QUOTE Thanks
donkeyshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
This device is simple.
TV wont show up in devices unless you restore it. Because it hasnt got a HD as such to stream the movies from, there is no need for it to show in iTunes Devices.
I can get it to show if i hook it up via Micro USB but the only thing i can now do with it is restore it to factory setting via iTunes or to JB it.
May i ask why you want it to show in iTunes ??
If i want to "use" iTunes to stream a movie instead of using the ATV2 to stream it then you still can, by using the drop down

. . .
Yeah, understood. Got it figured now- just got my wires crossed. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
donkeyshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
It's extreemely simply, you're just over thinking it. The ATV 2 will not show up in iTunes (unlike the ATV 1) so don't worry about it.

Once both your computer and the ATV 2 are logged into your iTines account go to the Apple TV and select "COMPUTERS" and select yours from the drop down menu. This will bring up and display your iTunes libary on the ATV 2. From there you simply choose what you want to play.

That's really about it.
Yes- it IS very simple and I WAS over-thinking it, to be honest. Thanks for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Another happy customer. Dont be shy and be sure to return

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyshed View Post
Yes- it IS very simple and I WAS over-thinking it, to be honest. Thanks for your input.
Sorry if my original post came across the wrong way. I have found that many folks, myself included, expect things to be far more complicated than they really are. I see it a lot with folks who come over from the Windows world. Apologies if I offended.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Home Networking | Apple TV multiple TVs »