New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Problems With ATV Resetting Constantly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

I am still having problems having to unplug my ATV and reset it. It plays movies fine once I do this, it goes through the clock reset and then works fine. The next day I go to use it again and I have to AGAIN reset the stupid thing. Both of my ATVs do this. Has anyone found a solution to this annoying problem?
QUOTE Thanks
paid4c4

paid4c4 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem when my ATV was hooked up to an older HD TV. Once the ATV went to sleep the only to get it to sinc with the TV was to unplug it. I tried a different HDMI cord but the same results. I then installed the ATV on a new HD TV and it works fine, I haven't had to reset it since I installed it on the new HD TV. I bought a Roku for the old set and it works just fine I haven't had to unplug or reset it at all. I was looking at BB the other day and Western Digital is making a really nice box and may be worth trying.
Bill

2011-MBP-15 inch-200-8 gigs of ram.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Hmmmmm My TV is only 3 years old. I wouldn't think that would be too old to work, but maybe so. How frustrating it is with the incompatibility of all the electronics. I guess I'll just have to unplug it every time I want to use it again. Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
paid4c4

Do you have another HD TV you could test your ATV with?
Bill

QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

I have two tvs and two ATVs. I'll swap them and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMac View Post
Hmmmmm My TV is only 3 years old. I wouldn't think that would be too old to work, but maybe so. How frustrating it is with the incompatibility of all the electronics. I guess I'll just have to unplug it every time I want to use it again. Thanks for the info.
Sadly, with the way technology and standards move these days, three years is getting up there.

QUOTE Thanks
paid4c4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Sadly, with the way technology and standards move these days, three years is getting up there.
Your post got me thinking the set that I have which ATV has a problem with is about 3.5 or 4 years old. My ATV was doing all kinds of strange things yesterday after a thunder storm, I thought it was fried. However after unplugging it for the night it is working OK this morning.
Bill

QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Hmmmm We haven't had any thunder storms her since I bought these. I switched these around on the TVs, but haven't had time to test them yet. I have to leave them off for a few hours, then try accessing Netflix again.
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

decoman is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 yr old Vizio with no problems...

24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
2.66 intel Duo Core / 13" mb 2010 / mbpro
ipod touch 1st generation 8gb / Ipod touch 4 gen 8 gb /
iphone 5 16gb / IPad 2 32 gig wi-fi / ATv2
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Maybe they just don't play well with Sony. That's kind of ridiculous, but I don't know what else to think. I would think Apple would have the sense to make sure they play with the biggest name brands at least.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

So, when you switched the ATVs, the problem stayed with the TV and disappeared on the problem ATV?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Nothing seemed to change. In other words, the problem stayed with the ATV, so it's not the TV that's the problem. I'm going to see if they'll exchange it where I purchased it.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Got it exchanged.....so far so good...bad unit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows home server and Apple TV 2 | AppleTV2 loses connection »