New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Apple TV Vs. HDMI Port for MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RidgeDallas

RidgeDallas is on a distinguished road

Have a ton of video on the macbook pro that I use VLC to watch on the actual laptop. Want to watch these on the HDTV and I am torn between getting Apple TV or the HDMI adapter for the Macbook Pro. I see this app called Airflick that I could stream from the laptop to the TV via the Apple TV device, would I need to convert anything with this? Most vids are .avi with a few .mkv.

Anyone have feed back on what my best bet is? Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeDallas View Post
Have a ton of video on the macbook pro that I use VLC to watch on the actual laptop. Want to watch these on the HDTV and I am torn between getting Apple TV or the HDMI adapter for the Macbook Pro. I see this app called Airflick that I could stream from the laptop to the TV via the Apple TV device, would I need to convert anything with this? Most vids are .avi with a few .mkv.

Anyone have feed back on what my best bet is? Thanks in advance...
Anything playing to the AppleTV 2 that is not in a compatible .mpeg4 or .mov container will have to be transcoded to a compatible format as they are playing. If these are large files, this may not go very smoothly. You could just convert your entire library using Handbrake. In the case of mkv files, if the video stream is h.264 and the audio is AC3, then you can simply remux them into m4v files with no loss in quality. MKVTools excels at doing this in batches.

Edit: I'm reading up on AirFlick and I *may* be wrong about the software needing to transcode to ATV-compatible formats. That is true for official apps, but AirFlick may be working around that. I'll try to test that out here this weekend.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Ok, I just re-ripped one of my movies into an MKV container with DTS sound, and my initial statement was correct. Using AirFlick, you cannot simply stream non-compatible files to the ATV. The app will offer to transcode them for you using another app (VLC), but it takes time and may not even work very well.

Bottom line: unless you want to jailbreak the Apple TV to add an app that will play anything you have now, you should plan to convert your library to a compatible format. Or connect your MacBook directly to the TV instead.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best "server" for Apple TV | Advantage of Jailbreaking? »