New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

Netflix streaming problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gimpster

gimpster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: FS: 2010 15" i5 2.4GHz 8GB RAM Hi-Res Anti-Glare 256GB SSD

I recently installed an AppleTV 2 and initially the Netflix streaming was fine (I used to use my Xbox 360). However, lately I've been having a lot of trouble with it. It won't buffer fast enough so the video is constantly stopping. I've double-triple-checked my internet connection. My speed tests are all coming back with the expected results. I have 35Mbps FiOS so I know my connection is fast enough. If I watch it on my 360 or my Mac/PC then it works fine. Are there any known issues with Netflix on the AppleTV?

FS: like-new 2010 MBP. Comes with all original packaging and discs.

Core i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD (or 256GB SSD), Hi-Res anti-glare screen, Battery (hardly used, still 97% healthy)
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Reboot the ATV2 and reset the modem and router. Do it from the wall out, tho. Pull the plug on the modem, then router then ATV2. Wait a min or two, then plug in the modem, wait 30 secs, then plug in the router, waiting 30 secs, then turn on the ATV2. You may want to reenter the info for the router. I have had to reboot my ATV2 a couple times.

Good luck.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
gimpster

Sadly, I've actually done that and it didn't improve. I've reported the problems to Netflix using their automated system. I don't know if it's worth trying to open a more official support ticket with them.

Core i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD (or 256GB SSD), Hi-Res anti-glare screen, Battery (hardly used, still 97% healthy)
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Do you have a non-wifi N device accessing the router in any way? Well, if you are on an N router? Only certain high-end dual-band N routers will play nice with speeds less than N. Again, just wondering.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
gimpster

My router is a WNDR3700 running DD-WRT running v24-sp2 (from 2/17/11). The ironic thing is that at the same time my Netflix is stuttering, I can go to my MBP (also connected to the same router on the same frequency) and test my speed, I get the full 35Mbps that I expect.

EDIT: and to answer your question, yes, I have other non-WiFi devices on the router (a NAS and a Mac Mini).

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpster View Post
My router is a WNDR3700 running DD-WRT running v24-sp2 (from 2/17/11). The ironic thing is that at the same time my Netflix is stuttering, I can go to my MBP (also connected to the same router on the same frequency) and test my speed, I get the full 35Mbps that I expect.

EDIT: and to answer your question, yes, I have other non-WiFi devices on the router (a NAS and a Mac Mini).
Try connecting the device you're streaming Netflix to directly to the modem and see if you can eliminate the router as a potential problem.

Does DD-WRT support QoS? It's possible that it could be throttling you back depending on how aggressive the QoS settings are.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
gimpster

I had Frontier come out to my house to address some other issues. They replaced my ONT and in the process, I talked to the tech about the Netflix issue. To his credit, he went out of his way to check on the issue when he got back to the office and it turns out that the issue looks like it was caused by my IP address. They've been buying up old blocks of IP addresses and mine happens to be registered back east in Rochester, NY and because Netflix does a reverse-lookup of your IP address to find your location and connect you to their nearest servers, this was causing the lag I was seeing (at least that's the theory). They're updating the registration, so hopefully in a day or two things will be back to normal.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Apple TV, up and running | Apple TV Wont Play Movies »