New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple TV Discussion of Apple TV, the new revolution in watching television.

AppleTV2 not playing movied files that played on 1st Gen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tbwolfinger

tbwolfinger is on a distinguished road

i have 100+ movies stored on an external hard drive that I ripped with Handbrake using various settings overtime as I experimented for the best picture. All of these files will stream perfectly to my 1st Gen AppleTV. However, when I try to watch them via home sharing on AppleTV2 for most movies I get a message saying something like "An error occured in retrieving this content" some movies, though, do play on the AppleTV2.

The common denominator for those that DO play is that, when looking at the summary info in iTunes the files state "Profile: Low Complexity" The files that do not play contain no profile information.

Is this a problem with my encoding? Does the Second Gen. AppleTV have streaming limitations not found on the First Gen.? Any help would be appreciated because I am not looking forward to re-encoding 100 movies.

Also, have people had luck with the AppleTV2 preset in the current release of Handbrake?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwolfinger View Post
i have 100+ movies stored on an external hard drive that I ripped with Handbrake using various settings overtime as I experimented for the best picture. All of these files will stream perfectly to my 1st Gen AppleTV. However, when I try to watch them via home sharing on AppleTV2 for most movies I get a message saying something like "An error occured in retrieving this content" some movies, though, do play on the AppleTV2.

The common denominator for those that DO play is that, when looking at the summary info in iTunes the files state "Profile: Low Complexity" The files that do not play contain no profile information.

Is this a problem with my encoding? Does the Second Gen. AppleTV have streaming limitations not found on the First Gen.? Any help would be appreciated because I am not looking forward to re-encoding 100 movies.

Also, have people had luck with the AppleTV2 preset in the current release of Handbrake?
I have no problems using the Handbrake settings for the ATV2 with my ATV2. I'm actually exceptionally pleased with it all.

In the case of your videos not playing, it may be a simple thing to fix. Grab an app called Subler, then open one of the videos you are having trouble into it. Highlight the video track, then under the setting for H.264 Video Profile/Level, change it to Main @ 3.1. Once done, save it (this will NOT re-encode the video or cause you to lose any data), then test it out. Hopefully that will do the trick.

The videos I have that I ripped using the ATV2 presets show the profile level as High @ 3.1, which is not a selectable option in Subler. I'm guessing that the ATV2 supports a slightly higher level than the old ATV, and Subler hasn't been updated yet to allow that selection.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS on Apple TV | Apple tv without wires »