Mac OS on Apple TV
    Hello,
    I have an Apple TV with a 140 gb HD. I tried converting movies so that the aTV would be able to play them, but that just takes to much time. After half a year I installed BOXEE and XBMC on it, but then I had streaming problems. What I want to do now is install Mac OS 10 on it. My question is whether or not the aTV is able to run Mac OS and play 1080p movies (from its HD) and whether it will be able to download torrentz etc.

Thank you in advance,
    MBKTEL

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    im gonna jump in here and say

1. most likely it will be too underpowered

2. its most likely illegal (breaks the EULA)
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    It is already running a stripped down version of Tiger and as Rob pointed out its too underpowered to run a full OS a Mac Mini would be better suited.

Quote Originally Posted by mbktel View Post
    Hello,
    I have an Apple TV with a 140 gb HD. I tried converting movies so that the aTV would be able to play them, but that just takes to much time. After half a year I installed BOXEE and XBMC on it, but then I had streaming problems. What I want to do now is install Mac OS 10 on it. My question is whether or not the aTV is able to run Mac OS and play 1080p movies (from its HD) and whether it will be able to download torrentz etc.

Thank you in advance,
    MBKTEL
    Having had the original ATV and using a Patchstick to add extra functionality, I'm of the solid opinion that the ATV is a steaming pile of poo. Adequate for SD content and low bitrate HD perhaps, but as others have said, it already does run on Tiger and is badly underpowered.

Your best bet with the original ATV is to replace the Airport wireless card with a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder (see link below). This little gem adds hardware decoding for h.264 encoded files and reportedly will play 1080p content buttery smooth on the ATV. I have not used it myself, I should say. I actually have the ATV2 now and am very satisfied with it. It won't do high bitrate 1080p, but it handles high quality 720p content just fine, and the streaming is far smoother and less glitchy than my experiences with Plex on a Mac mini serving as an HTPC.
    1080p Coming to Apple TV

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information